Another Memory Upgrade Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.93GHZ QUAD-CORE i7 - 16GB RAM - 2TB HD - iPad 3rd Gen 64GB - iPhone 4s 32GB
I’ve been reading these forums for awhile and this is my first post. I’ve searched this topic and found as much as I could find, but I still feel the need to ask my question. Please forgive the redundancy, but I’m just trying to understand this whole memory upgrade thing.

I’m about to purchase a 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 imac, and I am hoping to clarify my memory situation. I would like 16GB of RAM, but I think apple’s price ($900 w/educator discount) is quite steep. Looking at OWC, I can get 4x4GB for $229.99, which leaves me curious about the enormous price differential.

I guess my question is, with such a big price gap, is there a difference in quality/performance? If not, why does apple charge so much? If the RAM apple uses is truly superior, I will probably only want to upgrade to 8GB (2x4GB) through apple and leave the final 2 slots open for a later upgrade. Would it be wiser to just order the standard 2x2GB and replace it with 4x4GB through OWC ($229), or just upgrade to 8GB through apple ($360)? The only reason I ask is because it almost seems too good to be true that I could get 16GB for way less than I’d pay for 8GB through apple.

Thanks for the advice and again, I apologize for posting on a topic that has probably been beaten to death.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
We all want to know why Apple would charge that much and lose out on so many sales, too!
Yes, you can be fully confident in OWC's memory - quality no different than Apple's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.