• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Changing from BT broadband

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Monterey 12.2 iMac 24-inch,2021 Apple M1 8GB
Hi BT broadband is getting to expensive for me to use. I have looked at all the sites but what is the best value for money. They all sound great but what service and reliability do you get any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know about there in the U.K, but here in the U.S. the availability of broadband has to do with where you live. Typically there are only 2 or 3, maybe 4 options for service here. And, since this forum is global, it's gong to be a little hard for anyone to make recommendations, without you supplying the info of what providers you have available.

Even within the same city in many cases - mine being a prime example, the same list of providers are not available in all areas.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Monterey 12.2 iMac 24-inch,2021 Apple M1 8GB
Thanks for the reply bobtomay but I was hoping to get some answers from the UK no offence but they will know what providers are available, and more to the point which site is reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Well, I've not changed my provider in a long time. They started out as Pipex, got bought out by Tiscali who were in turn 'assimilated' by Talk Talk. BT maybe look expensive because the line rental will be rolled into it and there is no room for you to manoeuvre.

Some of the competition will migrate the rental over and provide it at a cheaper cost on paper but beware as you may get locked in. A big prize for the market is the line rental because it's a no-brainer inertia revenue stream.

I just didn't see any point in changing as I need a static IP and there weren't many out there at the time that would provide one. It's been extremely reliable, is unlimited and the support is in India (so what's new?) but of good quality.

Don't expect support by email though..they like you to call to rack up revenue on the premium rate number.

Many of the problems people experience are because providers ship basic single band commodity combo modem/ routers which seem to be locked down for their convenience rather than yours so insist on a dual band one or provide your own.

Happy Hunting!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you can get it, I can't fault Virgin to be honest. Some people seem to have had issues, but personally I haven't. Super fast too if you go for the 120mb service.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.