Multi Button Mouse

Reaction score
Hi I'm a new Mac user, I got my first Macbook pro 2 days ago after a long time researching and I'm very glad i made the switch! I'm looking for a 5 button mouse to use with a Macbook Pro and wondered if anyone here could give a couple recommendations,

• 5 buttons atleast
  • wired or bluetooth, although if i could have the option within one mouse that would be great
  • must be configurable so all buttons have a function, ie : expose, close window, copy and paste ect

I've used the mighty mouse many times and to be honest id prefer something different, any help would be greatly appreciated! cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I use a cheap, dynex(5 buttons), usb wired, when I'm on the go, and a Logitech mx laser bluetooth when I need extra precision. I use the Steermouse app to set the mouse buttons to whatever I want. Considering the dynex was only 14 buck, i like it A LOT compared to the 70 I paid for the mx. There are not a lot of mouses that have support to change what it's buttons do. To fix this, you use a program like steermouse.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! the ideal mouse for me would be the mx revolution if it was bluetooth comptable, i dont want to take up all my USB ports as i only have 2 of them, how big is your logitech bluetooth mouse? i cant find any full size ones that are bluetooth and i really dont like those mini portable mice but it would seem thats all thats on offer for bluetooth mice, strange?

does anyone know of any full size bluetooth mice with multibuttons?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
i'm not really sure what you mean by full size?!? I believe, to me at least, the mx revolution is full size and works great! I am 6'2 and can hold a basket ball with one hand, and fits my hand like a glove. It is bluetooth! This is the combo that I have...
Logitech MX 5500 Revolution Cordless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse Combo 920-000383 at TigerDirect.com

I'm sure you could probably pick up the mouse at bestbuy, officmax and etc...

I have a belkin powered usb hub that i keep my mouse connected when i don't feel like using the mx. I haven't started complaining yet! LOL!!

OP
S
Reaction score
wow i never even knew that existed thanks for the info!
so i take it the only difference between the mx 5500 revolution and the mx revolution is thats one is bluetooth compatable and one isn't?

can i ask some questions?

• is it reliable with you and can u set funtions for every button on a mac?

• can you use it with the built in bluetooth on a MBP or do you have to use the dongle?

• whats the battery life like?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
wow i never even knew that existed thanks for the info!
so i take it the only difference between the mx 5500 revolution and the mx revolution is thats one is bluetooth compatable and one isn't?

can i ask some questions?

• is it reliable with you and can u set funtions for every button on a mac?

• can you use it with the built in bluetooth on a MBP or do you have to use the dongle?

• whats the battery life like?

Cheers!
I assume you are correct based on the online specs. I have never tried the one without bluetooth.

It has been the best and most reliable mouse i have EVER used! You can set the buttons to whatever you want.

Yes, you can use it with the built in bluetooth and not have to use the dongle!

my battery lasts about 4-6 days without charging. I calibrated the battery real well because i have had past problems with rechargeable batteries before. I charge it whenever i don't use it and never have a problem with battery issues.

The keyboard is really nice as well and all the buttons worked for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 ghz
You got ALL the buttons to work???

I just got this myself for my macbook and found the MX 5500 Revolution buttons "mostly" worked, but not all so if you have them all working, I'd love to know how!!!

My issue is mostly with the scroll wheel click and the search button behind it. Oh, and I use Steermouse to program the buttons.

Clicking the wheel simply alternates between ratchet and free spinning. I thought that was just a mechanical thing we were stuck with, but it seems that, at least for windows users, you can make changes that let it act like a regular button - at least a standard middle click. I have no idea yet if this can be done with a Mac. Steermouse doesn't even recognize it when I click it.

The search button does nothing on my macbook and also isn't recognized by steermouse.

From what I've read, it may even be possible, on a pc, to get the tilt wheel to do something besides just scroll horizontally. Something to do with removing the "binding" the system uses.

Anyway, can you elaborate on what you have your mouse buttons doing? Even if I can only get one more to work, that would be a help.

The side buttons are completely programmable as well as the three positions of the side wheel. At least with Steermouse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.