MacIntosh (OS X) Data Recovery Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
There are several programs available that will recover lost files on your Macintosh:

Data Rescue ($99)
Mac Data Recovery, Hard Disk Data Recovery Software, Windows Data Recovery - Prosofteng.com
(I recommend this one)

Stellar Phoenix Macintosh ($99)
Mac Recovery Software- Recover Mac Drive- Apple Mac Data Recovery- Data Recovery Mac

FileSalvage*($80)
SubRosaSoft.com - Data Recovery for Mac OS X

VirtualLab*($100/$150/$250)
https://www.binarybiz.com/vlab/mac.html

Boomerang ($200)
Boomerang Data Recovery Software - MacOS X Version
Boomerang Data Recovery Software for Windows and Mac OS X

Remo Recover ($69)
Photo Recovery Mac & Digital Media Recovery Software for Mac OS X - Recover Photos, Picture, Images

If you want something that is free, there is this UNIX command line program, if you are handy with OS X's Terminal:

testdisk*
TestDisk - CGSecurity

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Great info.

Reaction score
so, textdisk blew My Mind, sounds like exactly what i need but it's way over My head.....

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
I should add that all of the data recovery experts that I have ever spoken to strongly recommend against using any of these data recovery programs. They suggest that they might make it impossible for them to recover your data if you end up needing to take your hard drive to a recovery service.

I'm also told that these programs vary very greatly in quality. I won't pass on any potentially libelous statements about any of these products, but I can tell you that ProSoft's Data Rescue is very highly regarded by just about everyone who has reviewed/tried it. e.g.
Data Rescue 3 Product Information | Macworld
Prosoft Data Rescue 3 | Mac|Life
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Data Rescue 3

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I should add that all of the data recovery experts that I have ever spoken to strongly recommend against using any of these data recovery programs. They suggest that they might make it impossible for them to recover your data if you end up needing to take your hard drive to a recovery service.

I'm curious as to why it would matter? Most folks are naturally going to try recovering data themselves first before sending a drive to an expensive data recovery service. Of course if you're running a business and your critical data was just lost and by losing it you're also losing money, then a data recovery service makes sense.

BTW, the open source recovery program looks interesting. I might give it a try on some test data with an old disk I have.

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why it would matter? Most folks are naturally going to try recovering data themselves first before sending a drive to an expensive data recovery service.

I don't know. I could ask someone, if you like.

I can only guess that using one of these programs increases the likelihood of overwriting the lost data. The folks at DriveSavers (who, admittedly, I don't get along with terribly well these days) are even very negative about using something like Disk Warrior on a drive which might require data recovery services.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I can only guess that using one of these programs increases the likelihood of overwriting the lost data. The folks at DriveSavers (who, admittedly, I don't get along with terribly well these days) are even very negative about using something like Disk Warrior on a drive which might require data recovery services.

Their negativity could also be rooted in fear of losing a client if Disk Warrior gets the job done.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Their negativity could also be rooted in fear of losing a client if Disk Warrior gets the job done.

I tend to agree. I'm not familiar with how most data recovery software operates, but I know one of things they try to avoid is overwriting user data. As a matter of fact the standard warning issued by most data recovery software publishers is to cease using the drive for fear of doing just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.