• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help with Vado HD

Reaction score
Can anyone walk me through the steps for getting video from a Vado HD video camera into iMovie? The Vado automatically downloads the video files in an .avi format to iPhoto. I've tried converting them to .mov and .mpg files but I lose the audio along the way. I could really use a step-by-step here if anyone is familiar with the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Which iMovie are you using? I have .avi files that were imported into iPhoto, that show in iMovie9/11 and can be imported into iMovie.

Otherwise get MPEGStreamclip, and export to Quicktime, using the Apple Intermediate codec and Uncompressed Audio settings.

OP
S
Reaction score
That's a start

Thanks for the info. I know these are very basic questions, but can you explain the process in more detail? Do I open the file in Streamclip? And is the Apple Intermediate codec built in?

BTW, I downloaded the newest version of Vado Central, which is supposed to solve this problem, but Creative doesn't explain how to use it. The video files go to iPhoto and I can't find a way to import them to Vado Central so they can, in turn, be transferred to iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Yes, open the file with MPEGStreamclip, and then from the File menu choose Export to Quicktime. Choose Apple Intermediate Codec from the Compression options, and Uncompressed from the Sound option. Set the Quality slider to whatever you want, obviously the higher the quality the bigger the file, but you probably want the highest for your video.

If you are using iMovie9/11, there should be an iPhoto Movies button in the Events pane. Clicking that should show your iPhoto movies, not the camera button in the middle right of the iMovie window

OP
S
Reaction score
Another way

Using QuickTime 7 and Streamclip to make an mp4 file gets both audio and video into a form that iMovie can use. Thanks.

There's another piece of software called HandBrake that does the same thing in one step, so it's easier and faster to use. It's a free download.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.