Firewire issue

Reaction score
I have a pre-iSight G-5. I was moving it while my external iSight was on, the power cord got unplugged, and shut everything off. After powering everything back up, the machine doesn't recognize the firewire ports. I checked in About this Mac/More Info, and it states "No information found."

Anyone have any suggestions? I tried resetting the SMU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
A few perhaps silly questions:

1/ Have you tried restarting with the iSight plugged in?

2/ Do you have any other Firewire peripherals you can test these ports with?

3/ If just the machine's power cord got disconnected, it is unlikely that the Firewire port got physically damaged. However, worth looking: have you checked the firewire port for any obvious signs of physical damage?

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, kodos00.

Just like mac57, I don't think this had any repercussions on the hardware either. One word: DiskWarrior.

Last year we had a power outage (quite a rare occurrence) that lasted about 5 hours. The power went off while I was using my iMac G5. When the power came back, I tried starting up the iMac, but could never get past the grey screen, the OS refused to jump in.

So I inserted the DiskWarrior CD, restarted holding down the C key, let DiskWarrior do its thing, restarted and it has been going strong ever since.

Of course your problem seems to be a bit less scary so maybe download Santa Software's MainMenu and clean out all the caches: users, system, fonts, etc. Restart and see if this fixes it.

Let us know what gives after the restart.

Good luck! :girl:

OP
K
Reaction score
I have restarted the Mac, and the green iSight light comes on, then it shuts off and the iSight makes the noise it makes when it shuts down. So power is flowing, OS X just isn't seeing the ports. I have tried switching ports with the iSight and my 3G iPod, and OS X isn't seeing either.

Physically, the ports are fine and attached tightly. I have also fired up iChat and Yahoo Messanget to see if that will thart the camera, but no luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Can you still connect an iPod via Firewire? I thought that iTunes no longer supported that? I bring this up because it would be nice if you could connect up another Firewire peripheral that had not been involved in the "accident". Is it possible that the iSight got dropped/damaged?

Other than that, I would go with MacHeadCase's suggestion of MainMenu, or another like it, OnyX, and run the full maintenance suite. Then restart and try again.

OP
K
Reaction score
The iPod has always connected with no problem. It is a 3g iPod, so it only does Firewire. But alas, they are the two Firewire devices I have...
The iSight is undamaged

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.