PowerPC G4 upgrade?

Reaction score
I have a 1GHz PowerPC G4 running OSX 10.3.9. How much can I upgrade the operating system. I have access to discs for OSX 10.5.2 for a Macbook. The G4 won't let me install that system. Are they different systems for laptops and towers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Leopard will run fine on that system but you will have to buy a retail copy. The system is the same but the install disks themselves are machine specific.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You will have to purchase a copy of Leopard. You can not use those DVD's from a Macbook on your Power PC machine for a few reasons. First it's against the law to have the same copy of OSX or Windows for that matter on more than one machine. 2nd is those are for an Intel CPU and will not work on a Power PC CPU. 3rd is the DVD's that come with say a Macbook are only for that model with the exact specs and will not work on another even Intel Mac that is a different model.

Amazon has a fairly good deal on 10.5 that will install on any Mac that is at least a 867Mhz G4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.