Buying At the Apple Store Vs. Apple Authorized Sellers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
I am on my third Apple Computer - just got a 21 inch iMac, 3.1GHz Quad Core I7, 16 GB Ram, 512 SSD. I have bought all three of these Apple Computers at an Apple Store or on-line from the Apple web site. It's a several hour drive (round trip) from my home to an Apple Store. Here's an illustration of my question: if I buy an Apple 2T Time Capsule from the local Best Buy store and I have problems with it can I take it to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store? That is if it's still under warranty. I was in my local Best Buy today and they had the 2T Time Capsule on sale for $277 - a slight savings over the Apple Store. So, as long as you buy from an authorized Apple re-seller is there any disadvantage in doing so vs buying from an Apple Store or the Apple web site? I know the people at the Apple Store will know more about trouble shooting and generally be much more knowledgable about Apple Products than the guys at Best Buy but if I buy Apple products at my local Best Buy if I have trouble within the warranty period can I then take it to an Apple Store for help? THX

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
if I buy an Apple 2T Time Capsule from the local Best Buy store and I have problems with it can I take it to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store? That is if it's still under warranty.

Yes, of course. The same applies to any Apple device you buy. I've bought several Apple accessories from Best Buy. Like you, I have never purchased a computer from them though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Another "definite yes". Any new Apple product that is covered by an Apple warranty (Applecare) can ALWAYS be taken to Apple (Apple Store)...or shipped to Apple for repair if a store is not close by.

In fact (given my experiences with Best Buy)...I would highly recommend NOT having the "Geek Squad" working on Apple hardware (if it should become necessary).

"MAYBE" they know Windows computers well...and can fix them with some degree of certainty...but on average...I don't think the Geek Squad folks know Apple hardware very well. The Apple Store is the place to go for any warranty work!:)

I'll give you a quick example. I had a problem with an iMac. Long story short...Best Buy said it was the logic board (a VERY expensive repair). It turned out to be a $3.00 hard drive data cable (which I fixed).

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
chscag & pigoo3 - thanks for responding. Since the Apple Time Capsule is available at a Best Buy about 3 to 5 miles from my home and it's on sale for $23. less than at the Apple Store that's hours away, I'll pick one up today. I am getting that more for the high speed router connection it offers than for the automatic back-up. I know the same device without the back-up hard drive is $100. less, but for $100. I think it's worth it - having the backup done without involving an external hard drive plugged into a port. I guess I am a bit lazy in my old age. I only wish Apple offered their Time Capsules with SSDs instead of "spinning" hard drives. Thanks again!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I only wish Apple offered their Time Capsules with SSDs instead of "spinning" hard drives. Thanks again!

My wish also... The problem right now is that it's just not cost effective with the price of large SSDs being what they are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I've had good luck a few times at Best Buy buying "New Old Stock" equipment. When Apple introduces new hardware, the authorized retailers often cut the prices of the previous versions significantly.

In late 2009 I bought a mid-2009 white Macbook in its sealed box for $499. Two weeks earlier that same computer was being sold for $999.

Since then I always check the retailers before heading to the Apple Store.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying Apple items at Best Buy (or other non-Apple retailers). The deal is (IMHO)...getting repairs done...you''re MUCH better off having Apple do it. Especially if you have active Applecare (which was the OP's question).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying Apple items at Best Buy (or other non-Apple retailers). The deal is (IMHO)...getting repairs done...you''re MUCH better off having Apple do it. Especially if you have active Applecare (which was the OP's question).:)

I would never let the folks at Best Buy touch any of my Apple products to do a repair. I've had such a horrible experiences with getting repairs through Best Buy, I won't even elaborate lest I go on a venting rampage!

Your AppleCare warranty is good at any Apple brick and mortar store, or via telephone.
1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753)
You can even purchase an extended AppleCare plan someplace other than where you purchase your Apple product. And that isn't a bad idea, because you can find extended AppleCare cheaper from places like Amazon:
Amazon.com: applecare

There is one instance though where you should only purchase from the Apple online store. And that's when you are purchasing "Apple factory refurbished" products. Apple's factory refurbished products are almost always indistinguishable from new, and they usually carry a good discount:
Refurbished and Clearance iPod, iPad & Mac Products - Free Shipping - Apple Store (U.S.)
You will find "refurbished" Apple items at Apple brick and mortar stores, and at Apple authorized stores, but they are a huge crapshoot. They aren't refurbished by an Apple factory and they could be someone else's lemon.
On the other hand, purchasing a product that is factory refurbished from Apple's online store is something that I highly recommend (assuming that the product you want is available refurbished.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would never let the folks at Best Buy touch any of my Apple products to do a repair. I've had such a horrible experiences with getting repairs through Best Buy, I won't even elaborate lest I go on a venting rampage!

I couldn't agree more!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.