My 3G USB dongal doesn't work with my new Mac Pro

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first time Mac user here.

I just bought a Mac book Pro, and I have a HUAWEI Mobile Broadband E175 USB 3G dongal (aircard thing)

Anyway, before I bought my Mac pro i was using Ubuntu and all worked fine, I plugged it in and set up the mobile broadband.
But when I plug it into my new Mac Book Pro nothing happens, no installation posses pop up, all the installation stuff is within the the dongal, no cd with it.

I searched in the connection set up but 'Mobile Broadband' connections don't even show in there.
My Mac book pro came installed with Lion OS.
I searched around with google and read lots of things for hours, tried many things to get it to work, installing drivers, JAVA but still nothing.

I plug it in, sit and wait and nothing.

Anyone can help with this?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Huawei may not be compatible with OS X. I'm surprised though if it works with Ubuntu (Linux drivers) I would have thought it would work with OS X. Unless you can find drivers that work or some kind of work around, you may have to invest in another 3G air card. T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon all have 3G air cards that work with OS X. Unfortunately, they're not cheap.

OP
N
Reaction score
I had a feeling that might be the case from reading sites about this.
Looks like it worked with the OS before Lion but not with Lion.
I guess I will go and take the Mac to an IT place and get them to test out some of their 3G dongals to see which one will work.

I live in Thailand and I have seen lots of them in the IT stores, hoping one will be compatible.

I may even go to the Mac store first to ask if they know of a work around first before though.

Thanks for your quick reply, I will update this Thread once i have it sorted.

OP
N
Reaction score
Update:

It was the 3G dongal, in the Apple store we tried another make/model and all was fine.
So ended buying a new one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.