Screen and Disk Sharing 10.4.11-10.5.8?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Mirror, MacBook Aluminium, MacBook Pro, iPhone 2G
Hi all

I have three Macs, a Mirror G4 (10.4.11), PowerBook G4 (10.4.11) and just got a MacBook Pro (10.5.8).

I originally had disc sharing figured out between the Powerbook and my Mirror and fully functional (somehow!)

I want to be able to connect to both of these with my new MacBook Pro - preferably disc and screen sharing. I would also like to disc share my Pro with my G4s...

I can get the screen sharing to work on both my G4s but only as a guest... and I cannot disc share because it asks for my username and password and vice versa - I have tried all the passwords I have used elsewhere and none work...

Can anybody give me a dummies guide to setting these up and telling me where to find the passwords I need? I do have all the admin passwords.

Thanks

Hi all

Ok, this is the last time I'm going to ask for help, because no matter where I look, whatever books I read or what ever threads have bits of answers, I just can't get this thing to work...

I have a MacBook Pro running 10.5.8, I also have a PowerBook running 10.4.11 and a Mirror G4 running 10.4.11.

I originally had file sharing between the two 10.4.11 machines - perfect.

I now want to have file sharing access to the 10.5.8 machine as well but the settings seem complicated and I keep running up against passwords and access priviledges.

I also managed to control the screen of the Mirror G4 from my Pro, but only once - so I know it works?

Please can someone show me where I can find a tutorial on this (because the setting dialogue boxes are different on both systems) or maybe show me some grabs of what the settings should be on both machines?

I would like to mount the disks on the desktop like I used to do on 10.4.11

And yes, I'm considering upgrading all machines to Snow Leopard but need to check they will run on my G4s.

Thanks...in advance....

Reaction score
Hi,
Setting up file sharing on Leopard is quite straight forward and there are a lot of tutorials on the net .. Here is one with screens:

Leopard Simplifies Networking - File Sharing - Lifehacker

Once you set the file sharing on Leopard, you should be able to access the shared folder ("Public" folder by default) on your Tiger somewhere in the "Network" places.

Tex

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I read the tut, but it doesn't actually show me how to share files...

On both machines I get the dialogue box to connect to the file server, but it asks for the username and password - now, I only have two usernames and passwords and neither of them work?

I just cannot connect the two machines together?

Reaction score
Thanks, I read the tut, but it doesn't actually show me how to share files...
Well you can't share "files" you can share "folders". Just add the folder you want to share in the "Share Folders" on the following screen:

leopardfilesharing.png

On both machines I get the dialogue box to connect to the file server, but it asks for the username and password - now, I only have two usernames and passwords and neither of them work?

In my previous screen, you can also configure the users who can access the folders and the rights. Try to set READ rights to "Everyone" to see if it works.

Tex

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, I've done all that, but the problem I've got is that I don't have those priviledges in 10.4.11 - and when I ask to share I get asked for Name and Password which is very odd as I don't know what the password is for this?

Sorry about me saying sharing files - I did mean folders....

Reaction score
Again I don't know how to set it up in 10.4. What I explained was the sharing setup in 10.5 then access it from 10.4. In this case you should not need any password when accessing the shares.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.