• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi. I posted a question yesterday. I just wanted to respond that I never indicated that I was trying to make an illegal copy. We have a bunch of dvd's which were recorded from the t.v (Dragontales, Blues Clues)., using our dvd recorder, which has since broken. I didn't think this would break any sort of copywrite laws, since these were available on the t.v. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that. I do try to model values to my children, and didn't think copying t.v. shows was bad.

With that being said, if anybody has any suggestions for what I should do to get these files available for use on a dvd burning software, I would appreciate it. I did try a kind suggestion to try dragging the file onto the burning software, but I can't seem to make this work. I can't seem to drag the files anywhere. If I try dragging it onto the icon, nothing happens. If I drag the file to the place where it shows the source with the list of things on the computer, nothing happens. So, I guess I could use specifics on where to drag it. Again, I'm trying to use burn, or dvd copy.....when I try to choose the source, I can't highlight any of the dvd's I was able to put on. Obviously I'm totally new to this, so I need specifics:).

I really just wanted to clear my name...I didn't want anyone to think I was trying to do anything wrong. The shows are readily available to anyone, so I really didn't think making a copy was wrong. That's it

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As far as I know, it is not illegal to backup unencrypted TV shows that were broadcast over the air. It's when you try to "rip" a DVD (even one you own) that it starts to get legally questionable - particularly when that ripping process involves breaking encryption.

Looking back over your thread, you specifically stated that you used Handbrake to rip the DVDs so that they could be viewed on an iPod. That's where you stepped in it.

For better or worse, The Digital Millennium Copyright Act specifically prohibits the breaking of any kind of encryption, regardless of whether you own the physical medium. Since this board follows US law, this topic is not open for discussion here.

If you need further clarification, please send me a private message by clicking on my name to the left. DO NOT open another thread in regard to this topic please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.