Some apps blocked, throttled on 3G iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Has anyone here experienced this,first hand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
That's just a joke. And ya know what ? I don't blame ATT for this at all. I blame Apple, fully. Why, you might ask ? Because Apple has had time to rethink their mobile network strategies. They know what they're dealing with in ATT's horribly worked pipes, and what they're capable (better yet, NOT capable) of, yet they chose to stick with them for the release of the iPad rather than go with a company with a better track record in terms of getting data through the lines.

Granted, 3g is an international standard, and this would have meant a minor internal design change, so that it was capable of both 3g and CDMA, but it would have given both Apple and the end user a lot more choices.

And come on... did Apple spend ANY time bothering to test the 3g iPad before it was released so that they could see if anything like what is happening now, would be an issue ? Obviously not, I guess. And that is pretty inexcusable. But I know, I know... Apple can do NO wrong, and should NEVER be to blame for anything. The whole reality distortion field/spiked Cool Aid thing has really taken on a life of its own.

If there was ever a reason to find the 3G version of the iPad redundant, this would be it. I naturally thought that Apple would have worked with all said parties (ATT/devs of said apps etc.. ) from the very beginning, in order to make sure that the user experience was nothing short of top notch. Sorry, but the only entity to blame here is Apple for knowing what they were doing, in having released a product which is not capable of going beyond its smaller iPod Touch counterpart in terms of quantitative quality.

Pretty cruddy and very disappointing.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
The only reason I can think that Apple has stuck with ATT through all of this is money. In most other countries the iPhone is available on multiple carriers and can be bought unlocked or unlocked by Apple in those countries. I don't get the At&t/Apple relationship.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The only reason I can think that Apple has stuck with ATT through all of this is money. In most other countries the iPhone is available on multiple carriers and can be bought unlocked or unlocked by Apple in those countries. I don't get the At&t/Apple relationship.

Seriously. You'd think they'd want some non exclusivity in their line up, wouldn't you ? At the very least, in the larger US markets, T Mobile might make a viable alternative. I'm not sure of what the other 3g service providers are, but if Apple would allow the use of any 3G SIM card in their products, all they'd have to do is authorize it via some online initiation process, and that would give the US some great options.

Man.. here in small ol' Hungary, 3g service via Vodafone is simply great. Puts ATT to shame in a big way. It's pretty much like that everywhere in EU as far as I've seen, having travelled around a bit now. The sad thing is, it's not just the US mobile market which takes a back seat to the kind of service one would come to expect with the amount of taxes we pay and the huge budgets companies like ATT have...

IMO, it boils down to misappropriated funds. A great example ? Look at NYC's transit authority. Authority indeed... They STINK ON ICE ! worst bunch of lazy @ss employees whom get paid way too much for doing way too little, or next to nothing. NYr's keep paying more local taxes, and nothing changes, well, except for the worse. They keep hiking up fare prices, and still.. nothing changes for the better. I know.. because I've been riding the system for over 20 years.

So now I can compare a huge city with enormous financial resources, to a tiny place like Budapest, whose primary source of allocated funding for any project relies solely on taxes. And you know what ? It's embarrassing ! The transit system here is AMAZING ! Granted, the people here are a lot different. They actually respect the space which they occupy, which is something I can not say for a typical New Yorker. The entire city of Budapest is so clean, right down to the metro. You can eat off its floors. The busses, trams and underground metro run on a very tidy schedule, and they're never late. You can set your watch to them.

Sadly, American businesses seem to get away with far too much nonsense. And much like I blamed Apple for this debacle, I also blame American citizens for not taking up such issues with their local congressmen and such. I guess we're just so smitten with the mental chains we've been locked with, that it's ok to put up with all the garbage. Anyway, this is turning into a rant which goes far deeper than what this thread is about. So: [/rant]

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.