Usefull Mac Apps

Reaction score
Hi, im a newbie here as well as in the world of Mac. I'll be getting my 1st Macbook Pro 15.4" Unibody next week and im currently doing as much research as i can regarding the MBP as well as how to fully utilize OS X Leopard.

So far i have found out that OS X is as much tweakable as WINDOWS and you can basicly customize your Mac to be much easier to use and at the same time boost up its performance using many different applications.

I've found many sites that showcases many applications for OS X, yet its difficult to do a full research on all those applications. In my experience of searching for good apps (during my pc-windows life),its difficult to rely on just ratings of those apps until i actually install it and try it out. Different users may have different taste and thus trying out apps 1 by 1 until you find the perfect 1 is a long painful task :Shouting: .

So i would like to ask for help, what are the apps that are in your MAC.
Apps that have helped you in different ways while using your MAC. Maybe a list of what you have would do good for me. At least, i can further my research based on those apps that you have posted.

Do state whether the apps you are using are free.shareware or $$$$.

I hope you guys could help me out as I am a newbie Mac User and would like to learn as much as i can on how to fully utilize it.:Smirk:

Reaction score
VLC Player - Download this to play any file format on your Mac. I haven't come across a format in which it cannot handle so far. Free.

Flip4mac - This is a plug-in to help you play .wmv files on your Mac. Free.

AppFresh - This keeps all the third-party applications in my Mac up to date. Free.

Handbreak - This helps you to rip DVDs into your Mac, or to convert it to iPod compatible formats. Free.

GetTube - I use this application to rip audio off YouTube videos. Free.

YouSendIt Express - I use this to send large files, especially when my chat clients in Mac cannot support high speed transfers. Free.

OnyX - Basic maintenance applications to repair permissions and to clear caches. Very important application, and it's free.

StuffIt Expander - Opens any kind of compressed file formats. Free.

Keyboard Cleaner - This application paralyzes the keyboard while you clean it with a cloth. Free.

Polardroid - I use this application to turn digital pictures into polaroids. Free, in beta version.

Skitch - Application to edit pictures and quickly upload them onto the internet. Free.

Adium - Best chat client for the Mac, and it supports a lot of other accounts like GoogleTalk, MSN, Facebook... the list goes on. Free. Also, highly customizable.

Skype - Free webcam chatting client. Stable, and high quality. Free.

Transmission - Torrent downloading application. Free.

Reaction score
Everything Psyko said, plus:

Candybar - Theme software for your mac. Allows you to customize the look of icons as well as the Dock itself. $pay.

Caffeine - Stops your computer from "going to sleep". Good for use with long youtube videos and the like. Free.

CoconutBattery - Tells you the current state of your battery-- like how many charge cycles it's gone through, how old it is, and what ercentage of your original battery life (from when your FIRST got your mac) you have left. Free.

Omni Disk Sweeper - Scans your hard drive, and displays to you all of your files, putting the largest ones on top. This is useful when you're trying to free up space. Free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook(white)
i have nothing to add cause i'm also a noob for macs, but i'll be downloading all of that later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My customising includes reading up reviews on MacUpdate and Version tracker before installing and using. As there were significant changes in Leopard compared to Tiger before it and as well moving from the PPC to the Intel i tend to avoid any that have not been reviewed in the Leopard/Intel environment just to make ops more stable. i have most of those listed above but remember if you load 17 new apps at once and have issues the troubleshooting becomes long and drawn out. Additionally i would get SuperDuper and an external HD and make an bootable copy on that while all is going good and then add apps incrementally such that if you do have problems it is easy to go back to pre problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook(white)
so i tried downloading caffeine but it won't work on mine, it just opens as text edit...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook(white)
still doesn't work, this comes out.

The document “Caffeine1.0.4.zip” could not be opened. The file is not in the right format.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How are you trying to open it? If it doesn't work, can you open any other zip archives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook(white)
yes i'm able to open other zip files except for this one.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try downloading it again or from a different location. If that doesn't work, open up Terminal (/Application/Utilities) and type the following:
Code:
unzip /directory/to/zip/Caffeine1.0.4.zip
Replace /directory/to/zip with the directory that the zip file is in.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch guys. I will definitely search for all your recommended apps.

Btw, are there any clashing problems if any of these apps are being used simultaneously, especially apps which are use to tweak os x settings.

e.g: if im using onyx and say...Mainmenu..or Macpilot..?

Also..are there any apps that i might stumble upon but should stay away from?

Again,thanks guys! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
since no one mentioned it ;

If your looking for a great office suite look no further then NeoOffice. Its free and great !
NeoOffice Home

Clay

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OpenOffice now also has a native port to OS X so you might find yourself better supported with that as NeoOffice releases depend on OOo and as such, are a few "features behind".

I had MainMenu and OnyX installed at the same time a while ago. You shouldn't have any problems. To be safe though, don't run them at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey vansmith , I used open for the pc but had heard neo was better for mac ? Is open worth the download and trial ? I will trust your judgement and give it a try.....

Clay

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used OOo for years on my last notebook and it was solid. I have heard good things about OOo (95% of which comes from cwa107 :p) on the Mac and I myself just downloaded it to give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx...download and try I shall

Clay

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just did quickly. The old doc files opened ok and docx ok as well (same document), but had more problems than doc files. The UI still isn't integrated completely and I had some "lag" issues. To be fair though, it was a quick trial.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.