Please Help!! System problems

N

neil_mac

Hi there,

I have a 15.2" superdrive powerbook, for about the last 5 months, and I'm running panther. Nearly all programs have started unexpectedly quitting, mostly when message boxes appear, or I'm trying to save files. It was infrequent at first, but as more software has gone on, it has become all the time. I've no idea what this could be, I have archived my files, so I'm prepared for a complete zero and start again, but only if this will resolve the problem.

I hope someone can help me, (or tell me I should be in a different forum)
thanks, neil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Try repairing your disk permissions in
Apps --> Utilities --> Disk Utility

After that if it hasnt changed much
Reboot computer
As soon as it begins to boot up hold down
Apple and S
It will boot in single user mode
Once that screen is done loading type in
/sbin/fsck -f

When that is done if there were any changes run it again to see that it got them
Once it says it was OK type in
Restart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
I found a widget that will repair permissions automatically. Go to www.knofabulator.com and get the mail knofabulator program. Then download the widget "Permissions Doctor". Whenever you run the installer it will follow up with a background repair of your permissions.

Jerry

OP
N

neil_mac

Hi again,

so far I've tried the disk utility to repair disk permissions, and there were a few corrections, but it hasn't improved.Then I tried the single user mode repair a couple of times, and it told me the disk was fine. It quits out of apps when dialog boxes appear, but not every time, it happens on all sort of programs, from safari to illustrator.
thanks for your help,

neil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.