Outdoor Webcam

Reaction score
Hiya, Noob here.

I've been using Apple stuff for ever so not technically a switcher but i'm far, far, FAR from being technically minded. In saying that, i now want to tackle a new project of setting up a wireless outdoor webcam to stream to the internet. (apologies if i post this in the wrong part of the forum! Noob blooper!)

Where do i start!?! I've looked on the net but theres' not much info specifically for mac's. Ive also had a search on here and can't find any threads. Happy for someone to point me in the right direction if they already exist.

I will be hooking it up to a G5 Powermac but my question is:
What would be the best webcam? Nothing ridiculously fancy. Its to film chickens! It will be in a sheltered position but still outside. Must be wireless.

Thanks a bunch

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved your post here as it really does not belong in "Switcher".

As for an outdoor wireless Web Cam, do some Googling. But be careful in that anything you buy is compatible with OS X. And since your machine is rather old and can't support Snow Leopard or Lion, you may have a difficult time finding something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
This might be worth checking out.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks chscag for moving it. The forum wasnt clear where i could dump this type of post and i knew someone would be helpful enough to move it. As for googling it, would you believe i have already done that? This wasn't my first port of call rather my last resort for some helpful advise perhaps from someone who has already done something similar. I also agree that the machine is old and we have more up to date machines in the house but for certain reasons this is the machine im going to be using so i'm sure someone will have helpful advise to get over this hurdle.

EvenStranger, Very helpful! thankyou. Thats more or less what im looking for. Certainlly the right price and i'm loving the infrared LED's. Is it mac compatible? I'll take Chscag's advise i guess and head back to Google and keep prowling.

Thanks everyone.

OP
P
Reaction score
The Foscam is Mac compatable! :-D Awesome. Next step is to fork out some cash and work out how to stream it on a website.

Sometimes the smallest bit of advise is the peice that completes the puzzle. Evenstranger, you've made my morning.

OP
P
Reaction score
I've also just found out that the G5 powermac will actually run leaopard just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.