Apple boot screen keeps loading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I have OSX 10.5.8 Server on my PowerMac G5, and after doing one of the updates as per software update, it asked to restart the system, so I let it do it's thing, but it froze up after much waiting, I shut it down myself. Now when I try to boot it back up, all iget is the grey apple boot screen, and it keeps loading and loading, but doesn't get anywhere. I tried the cmd, option, p and r trick, but that didn't do anything. So what is there left I can do for it besides wipe and start over again?

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, i gave that a shot, and it still behaves the same. I also tried booting in safe mode and it still is. Now a third time i tried, and waited, and it was able to get to a blank blue screen, and it stopped there. So that made me think it might be an OS problem. So i tried reloading OSX Server into the computer, and installation failed with the DVD DL, so i guess i have to try a firewire drive like i originally did. But what could have caused this, was it the security update that i did through software update which made me restart the computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Who knows what caused this? May also be a failing hard drive. If you have the original system install discs run Apple Hardware Test in Extended Mode and wee what is reported.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When i bought it, no discs came with it, so i have been using second hand discs, which don't have the apple hardware test unfortunately. Now the hard drive failing is possible, it's kind of unlikely since the boot drive is only 3 months old and i don't use this thing that much. But i reinstalled the OS last night, and now everything is back to normal, i'm guessing something got messed up when it did that security update, that's all i can attribute it to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might look at a little utility called SMARTReporter to keep an eye on that drive. Had 'em broke brand new out of the box alas!

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you ever heard of Onyx before? That has a SMART checker in that, do you think that would suffice. or is this SMARTReporter better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use both for the reason the drive may start to play up between Onyx applications which generally are done monthly.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, i'll have to check that out. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.