File names to long error when copying to NAS

Reaction score
Ive just set up my Netgear Ready NAS Duo 2000 with 2x Seagate 2tb Barracuda drives.

And it all seem to be working fine but when I linked up from my Intel Imac running OSX 10.4 it came up with an error saying file names are too long.

Out of a folder holding 10 files only 2 copied, do I need to reformat the drives on the duo in a different way and if so how do I do this?
I will mainly be accessing the drive from 2 macs one running OSX 10.4.11 and another running OSX 10.5.6.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How are you accessing the NAS? SMB? AFP? How long are the file names?

Regards

C

chas_m

Those drives are probably formatted FAT32. Reformat them for Mac and that should fix the issue.

OP
hagga27
Reaction score
How are you accessing the NAS? SMB? AFP? How long are the file names?

Regards

I’m access the NAS through ethernet on a local network.

I did a test to see how many letters I could copy over and it seems its not the amount of letters as it says in the error, it cant seem to copy files with forward slashes (/) in their names.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have a ReadyNAS NV+, and I'm also accessing it over the Ethernet connection. I've used the NAS with a Linux, Windows 7 and now my iMac..I use both SMB and AFP to access the various shares on there..

You do not want to have files with symbols in their names, especially slashes, since the ReadyNAS is running Linux on it and forward slash is a directory de-limiter..you can use spaces in names, but avoid any other characters. Stick to just letters and numbers..

Regards

OP
hagga27
Reaction score
I have a ReadyNAS NV+, and I'm also accessing it over the Ethernet connection. I've used the NAS with a Linux, Windows 7 and now my iMac..I use both SMB and AFP to access the various shares on there..

You do not want to have files with symbols in their names, especially slashes, since the ReadyNAS is running Linux on it and forward slash is a directory de-limiter..you can use spaces in names, but avoid any other characters. Stick to just letters and numbers..

Regards

Cheers

The problem is Im tying to archive off thousands of old jobs but the guy who worked here previously was a bit Slash happy in his file names, lol

I going to have to copy the files off in small batches and when I see an error go though the file names and remove the slashes I think. :Shouting:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.