ipod video with os x 10.2 issues

Reaction score
I just got a used imac yeasterday and I've had nothing but problems with the jaguar OS so far. Can't install photoshop, can't install most versions of Itunes... basically nothing works.

Most notably, when I plug my 30gig ipod video into it, nothing happens.

the ipod comes up on my desktop, but when I open itunes my ipods not in there.

are ipod videos too new to be recognized by 10.2? and how do I fix this problem.

Also, I'm pretty new to macs, can I just upgrade my OS to panther or tiger free of charge? or would apple make me buy tiger for the standard price? I don't have internet access on the mac, so I'm not sure how I would go about updating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
No, you can not upgrade free of charge. Just bite the bullet and buy a copy of Tiger for $129. You might be able to find a copy of Panther on E-Bay for less, but it's really not worth the effort IMO. You can go to an Apple store or an Apple reseller and buy Tiger on DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What version of iTunes are you running? The iPod videos required, IIRC, at least iTunes 6 and I'm not sure if 6 works on 10.2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.