Mac OS X maintenance for windows user

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I switched to Apple a few months ago. I've been using mostly windows and linux before that.

On Windows, I had to do all sorts of maintenance - defray, clean the register, scan for malwares, etc. On linux, which is closer to the Mac OS X, I never did any kind of maintenance.

I read some contradictory things about the mac os x lion - some say that I should buy some apps like mackeeper and iDefrag, some say that it's hardly necessary and mostly a waste of money.

So what advice on this respect you experienced users could give me?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There's no real need to do anything much.

Some of us run Onyx every now and again.

But whatever you do DO NOT install or use MacKeeper. A quick search of this forum will list off numerous horror stories of that particular application.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I read some contradictory things about the mac os x lion - some say that I should buy some apps like mackeeper and iDefrag, some say that it's hardly necessary and mostly a waste of money.

Not just..."mostly a waste of money"...but IMHO (and many others)...a TOTAL waste of money. In fact...apps. like "MacKeeper" can actually cause issues. Stay away from these apps!!

As far as defragmenting...I could write a lengthy reply...but this article explains it just as well::)

Do You Need to Defragment a Mac’s Hard Drive?

HTH,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Whoa, and I was trying to use MacKeeper on the iMac here at work, to be able to install Windows 7 (needed for some Unity 3D stuff) via bootcamp without the annoying "some files could not be moved" message! I tried Onyx, it's an awesome all around tool! Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.