switching from macbook to ipad?

Reaction score
hi guys,
i've got a question:
i'm using my imac at home and i've a macbook (2007) that i don't use that much. Do you think selling the macbook and buying a new ipad is the right solution for me (surfing, music, emails..not only at home...)?

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Safest bet would be to get an iPad first then conduct that experiment I think all 3 have a
place but thats just me.

Reaction score
I also have a macbook and would like an ipad. However they are far from interchangeable. You cannot load a cd or dvd, cannot copy data to a usb flashdrive, cannot load applications not available as an apple app. Does not have an infrared sensor for remotes. It is a great gadget but more of an accessory to a standard computer than a standalone.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If you're already not using the Macbook that much and you have an iMac it's a fairly safe bet you could dump the Macbook for the iPad.
Having said that the advice to get an iPad first and try it is an excellent idea.

I'm keeping my MBP but it doesn't get anywhere near as much use as it did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PC Baby!
It all depends on what you use the laptop for. In my case the iPad replaced a Sony Reader, a Nintendo DS and a Netbook....all with ease. But if you rip DVD's, use Photoshop, or run a small biz from your laptop, then no....

From the uses you listed, I would say yes.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
hh, no way the iPad could replace my MBP :)

it's a gadget, not a computer, but then I don't expect my computer just to play music and surf the web :)

OP
I
Reaction score
hh, no way the iPad could replace my MBP :)

it's a gadget, not a computer, but then I don't expect my computer just to play music and surf the web :)

thank u all, as i said already, for "working stuff" i'd use the imac, do i think my macbook will be replaced with an ipad :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
As mentioned it depends on what you use your laptop for. The iPad like its cousin the iPod Touch and iPhone are used more for consumption of digital media such as watching movies, surfing the internet, listening to music, reading digital books/magazines, playing games, etc.

It's not so good for creating things such as word documents, video/image editing, playing advanced games, etc. If you already own the iPhone/Touch then you will know the limitations of an iPad. In other words it's more of a dedicated portable media entertainment center rather than a replacement to a laptop. If that is how you use your laptop then yes the iPad can replace it since you said you do your "work stuff" on your iMac.

The best way to find out is to try it as others have suggested. We are not you so we don't know if it will fully fit your needs. ;)

OP
I
Reaction score
As mentioned it depends on what you use your laptop for.

i use my macbook for browsing, mails, music and pictures (no editing) and sometimes to write with pages, so it seems that the ipad is the "right" device for me. i've already an iphone so i know already the limitations of the iphone/ipad OS.

my doubt was only if it's "right" to change the macbook with an ipad...?! probably yes because the macbook is the early 2007 model...?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
my doubt was only if it's "right" to change the macbook with an ipad...?! probably yes because the macbook is the early 2007 model...?!
If you aren't using your laptop much then I don't see why you want to keep it anyway. If you think getting an iPad will make you use the portability more then I think you have got your answer. You might have money left over if you sell the MacBook and bought an iPad unless you want the high end iPads. Macs usually hold their price value pretty well but you won't know until you actually sell it.

Reaction score
Granted that I do play with my new iPad more than my new MBP, I don't think the iPad could ever replace a laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.