2 problems

Reaction score
I'm having 2 problems with my ipod touch. Just to clarify, my ipod touch is a 3rd gen 32 gig model with the latest firmware.

1st problem is with the virtual keyboard. When I'm typing and try to switch the keyboard to horizontal by turning the touch horizontal, the keyboard won't change orientation automatically. I have to tap the screen to get rid of the keyboard and then the web site or whatever I'm looking at will change to horizontal orientation as well as the keyboard when I bring it up again. Any solutions to this or am I just not supposed to have the keyboard out when I want to change the orientaion of the touch?

My 2nd problem is with exiting programs. I want to conserve as much battery life as I can, and I read some of the programs like weather and mail still run in the background even after pushing the home button. I read that you have to hold down the home button for about 5 or 6 seconds and then the screen goes black and back to the home screen, and that is when the program is officially off. When I try that, nothing happens. I'll hold the button for like 10 seconds and the program just stays on and no change. Any way to fix this and actually shut off these background-running programs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
1- that is normal. That's just the way it works

2- the only program that will continue to run in the background is iPod. Mail will continue to run only to finish a download unless you have it set to auto. Check for mail. Set it to manual and it won't check untill you tell it to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
clayneal is correct on both points. Just to add, the solution you mentioned in your second point is referring to firmwares 2.x and earlier. With the inclusion of voice control on the 3GS, holding the Home button no longer functions as a way to force quit an app. With the 3.0 software, you have to hold down Power button till you see the "Slide to Power Off" slider, let go of the Power button and then hold down the Home button for about 5-6 seconds (if you hold them together you'll end up restarting the phone)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.