Hard Drive Failure

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 15" macbook pro that I bought in January 2010 so it is just out of warranty. The hard drive failed in it about two weeks ago. I brought it to an "authorized" repair shop here where I live and they ordered one in and I had to pay $275 plus tax for it - came to over $300.

I'm wondering if I have been ripped off? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Aubrey

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
OP
A
Reaction score
Ripped off

Hmmm...no, the price on the invoice was $275 for the hard drive itself; I had to pay more than $200 to have it replaced; the total bill was $480.

According to the prices on the site you posted, it appears that I was fleeced for sure.

Someone also mentioned to me that hard drives might be warranted for more than one year - is that right? I guess what I am asking , was my failed hard drive covered under warranty? I didn't buy the Apple Care thing.

Thanks,
Aubrey

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, the hard drive which was removed was not under the manufacturer's warranty as it's considered to be an OEM part. It was warranted by Apple for one year. If you had purchased Apple care, that warranty would have been extended to three years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you register the drive when you purchased the machine? WD and Seagate generally offer a longer than one year warranty on registered drives so worth a try. Think they saw you coming from afar as for that money could have purchased a nice SSD!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.