How To Install Apple X11 From Tiger Install Disks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I had read in these forums that I could install Apple's X11 from the Tiger install disks. I have not been able to find anything but an X11 SDK that I could install. I am running OS X 10.4.6, on a brand new Power Mac G5. I did try the "Install Bundled Software Only" package, and selected Customize, but X11 doesn't seem to be in there. I tried the "Install Mac OS X and Bundled Software" package, but it indicated it would restart my machine and do a fresh install - I exited that package quickly! I looked all through the Xcode Tools package and that is where I found the X11 SDK, which I did install.

Where do I find Apple's X11 itself? I did find a downloadable version on the Apple site, but I know from these forums that it is an older one (has a post date of 2003 in fact) and that there is a more current one on the Tiger disks somewhere. The web page I am referring to even says as much - Tiger users can get their X11 via the Tiger disks.

Can someone tell me WHERE on the Apple Tiger install CDs I can find Apple's X11? Thanks.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, you can give me the "dumb *** of the year award" - I just realized that I had not scrolled all the way down on the window opened by the installer disk. There is a separate package, not in the presented window (have to scroll down - dohhh!) that has the Optional Software Installs. Sorry for the forum clutter!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Don't worry, we all have that Duh, moment from time to time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.5GB
Duh moments are pretty much the norm for me but I can't see what I'm doing wrong when I try to load X11. I find it on the disk & start the install but after selecting the hard drive & clicking CONTINUE, the install just sits there doing nothing & I have to do the quick kill on it. I'm also on 10.4.6 on an Intel iMac.

Any ideas? Thanks

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For what it is worth, I noted that immediately after the hard drive selection screen came up, the Continue button was greyed out for a period of time. At some later time (30-45s) the installer put a big green arrow through the disk image and the Continue button became the usual aqua color. I have NO idea what the installer was doing in that 30s - 45s, but it took that long. Was the Continue button perhaps still greyed out when you clicked it?

BTW, Apple's X11 seems pretty inobtrusive. It runs in rootless mode, which means that you can see through to your Mac desktop. This is nice. It seems to work with Open Source apps - I downloaded The GIMP as a test, and it worked like a champ. Stay with it, it is worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tip.

I got stuck on that when I tried to install a version I downloaded from the Apple website. I'm installing from my grey OS disk and the Mac HD had already been selected. I will try again & let it sit longer. Odd that no one else has reported that the install takes a loooong time.

I hope it works, I'm trying to install OpenOffice so I can access all my old PC documents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I get home tonight & try to install X11 yet again from my OSX disk. After the install selects my Mac HD as the install drive, I go to the "Install Optional Installs" I drill down under Applications & check off X11. Then I click INSTALL. Tonight I gave it over an hour and STILL got nothing.

Any suggestions?

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing further I can suggest. I see that you are on an Intel Mac? Perhaps their X11 isn't a universal binary, and it just doesn't run properly under Rosetta? I am on a Power Mac G5, so everything runs "native". I bought a G5 vs. an Intel Mac to avoid precisely this sort of problem.

So, does anyone else have Apple's X11 running on an Intel Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't think of that. Jeez, you'd think they would ship an Intel-compatible version of X11 on the OS discs for an Intel machine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have an Intel Mini, when I get back home this evening, I will try to install X11 from the install DVD and get back to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
I have an Intel Mini, when I get back home this evening, I will try to install X11 from the install DVD and get back to you.

Thanks Travis! It's getting kind of frustrating, I just want to install OpenOffice so I can finish migrating from my old PC. I appreciate your help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I do not know what is up on your end, but it installed fast as can be here on the Intel Mini. Try repairing Permisions with the Disk Utility. Also check the Install DVD and see if is dirty. Something is stopping it from installing. I works great on the Intel Mini. I am sure it's Universal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for trying that out, Travis. I will try your suggestions when I get home. I think I will also unplug all my peripherals & external hard drive.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can someone explain this "repair permisssions" thing to me. This, and "zap your PRAM" seem to be universal cures for everything that ails Macs. I come from the world of Linux, and so I am more than aware of file permissions and what they do. It sounds like they get easily corrupted on Macs? Why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Repairing Permissions does not do anything to resolve most critical issues. It's just general maintenance that a lot of people think works miracles. It should be done about once a month, no matter the amount of installs/uninstalls/reboots, etc. you do. Reference.

"Now that that pleasantness is over with, the real issue I have is all these websites that suggest repairing permissions will actually fix/prevent problems. Even worse is when otherwise intelligent people are poised with a Mac OS X related troubleshooting problem and immediately suggest the user repair permissions. Repairing permissions won't fix your problem." -Quote from the Article mentioned above.

Basically, when you install something using a .pkg, it creates a "receipt" that OSX stores in /Library/Receipts. These receipts have "instructions" for Disk Utility on what the programs permissions *should be*. Disk Utility looks at the current permissions and compares them to the .pkg's instructions. If they differ, then DU changes them. That's it.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks once again surfwax95 - you certainly are a fountain of knowledge!

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, one mystery down, one to go. What is "zap your PRAM"? PRAM sounds like an acroynm, I am guessing "Parameter RAM" - what is it, who uses it, and why would I want to "zap" it (clear it, I presume?). Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
You are correct. The P in "PRAM" stands for Parameter and is basically a small amount of memory to store:

Cursor (I) blink rate.
Disk Cache.
Date & Time.
Keyboard Repeat Rate.
Highlight color.
Mouse Tracking speed.
Double click speeds.
Monitor settings (location of secondary monitors).
Beep Sound.

All of these are set back to OSX's default settings when the PRAM is "zapped".

The PRAM can become corrupt and mess with these settings causing some weird problems. Clearing it out will reset all of the aforementioned values back to stock, thus making it easier to troubleshoot the computer.

:mac:

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent - thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.