Problems Connecting in Internet Cafes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo & Powerbook G4 12" G4 1.5 also iPod Touch 32
Hello - I have a 12" PowerBook G4/1.5 GHz

I've very recently started to have problems maintaining a connection when I go to some internet cafes. I don't have this problem if I go to say Borders (tmobile WiFi) but if I go to just a local coffee place I may or may not be able to maintain a connection. The places always tell me "Macs sometimes have problems" and to restart. Sometimes I see other patrons having a problem but sometimes not. It's pretty maddening. I don't know if it's me or the cafe and I don't know how to figure it out.

How do I know if it's an issue with my computer or with the cafe's internet?

Do older Airport cards 'go bad' or are they just not able to keep up with Wireless N, etc. (although I should mention I don't have a problem staying connected at home)?

What would folks suggest I do here? I'm at a loss. Thanks :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You said that some others at the Cafe's are having issues. Do they all use Macs or do some use Windows machines?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo & Powerbook G4 12" G4 1.5 also iPod Touch 32
hi

it was the Mac users having all the problems. PCs seemed to have been unaffected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.