hissing sound

Reaction score
They just gave me a new model macbook because they damaged my other one in a ram install. This one is driving me nuts because it has a hissing sound coming out of it. It's constant noise that is very noticeable. When i scroll through web pages it become choppy. Is this something I should worry about? and has anyone had this problem before?

It's not the audio, it's something internal. I was uploading pictures the other night and it would hiss and stop hissing for every picture sent.

Reaction score
personaly i would defentialy get it checked out while under warrenty, could be the hd acting up and its more likely to get worce not better.

Reaction score
By they, do you mean apple or a store where you had ram installed? Either way you should have it looked at and try to get it replaced. I'm no expert but new computers should not be making hissing noises or any other type of noises at all.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
They just gave me a new model macbook because they damaged my other one in a ram install.

This really floored me. Ram install is like the easiest thing ever, and I don't see how they could mess that up.

Well in any case, I would bring it back and have them address that issue because that is far from normal.

OP
Y
Reaction score
This ry floored me. Ram install is like the easiest thing ever, and I don't see how they could mess that up.

Well in any case, I would bring it back and have them address that issue because that is far from normal.

Thanks for the advise.. I probably will get it checked out when I get back from vaca. I read some early posts from early 2007 and there was a few with the same problem.. it's very strange..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
I had the same problem with the first MacBook Pro released. If the computer sat idle, in essence doing nothing other than having the operating system loaded I did hear the hissing sound.

If I used the computer the sound went away ...

Apparently it is something about the CPU going into a powersave mode that starts this hissing noise. My work PC laptop have this problem too ... I wonder if Apple can really fix it... ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.