change owner - keep apps?

Reaction score
I am wondering about something... since I haven't tried it before :)

I have gotten a new iPhone, and my mum is going to 'inherit' my 4s.

My mum doesn't have a computer, so I have already set up an email account for her, so that we can make her an apple id for appstore.

Now my question is this... when the time comes later this month, where she's getting my old iphone - can we make a 'switch' without resetting everything?
I would like to have a couple apps pre-installed for her, and since she doesn't have a computer, it would be easier to just delete the apps she won't need and keep the ones she will have use of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
it will work for the apps that are already on the phone. But you will not be able to make any future updates for those apps as they are linked to your account (unless you give her your password so she will have 2 accounts on one phone: her own account and your account).

If in this scenario, your mum can use her own account and can still download new apps only (and update them).

If you only have a couple of apps that you want to benefit her from my advise is really for you to do a full reset on the phone, and set it up solely with your mum's new Apple ID and download those apps that you want her to have.

In case your mum uses a ”fresh” account from scratch, she will also have full benefits of iCloud storage (as HER phone will then be completely backed up including HER apps, while in the 1st scenario, the apps present -linked to your account- are not saved/backed up through iCloud - assuming that you won't allow her to use your iCloud account, which would mess things up even further)

OP
Piggie
Reaction score
I figured it would probably be something like this - thank you :)

It won't be more than a handfull of apps.. so I think I am gonna make a list and reinstall them - or have her do it with me helping her.
She's 80 and it will be her first real smartphone :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you get her an Apple ID of her own, then the apps your give her that were downloaded and purchased with your ID can not be downloaded again by her. The iPhone should be reset by you before giving it to her otherwise it will still be listed as yours. Resetting the phone will wipe everything from it.

Why not reset the phone for her and buy her the apps you think she will need, but buy them with her Apple ID?

OP
Piggie
Reaction score
All of those apps are luckily free ;-)

But I will definitely reset and get the apps all over again.
It was just a thought that it might be easier for my old mum if 'stuff' were already on it, so that there were lesser things for her to get to learn how to do.

We'll just make a lunchdate out of it then :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.