Help With Getting Customers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I've been doing some freelance web design for a little while, and I was getting customers by association, but now I'm starting to run dry, what do you suggest to get customers? Should I put an ad in the local paper? Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
During my marketing management days prior to retirement, for that type of business found the free, home delivered TV guide and free suburban newspapers good value.

Cheaper to advertise than nationals also.

OP
The Vindicat3d
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Very true, but do people actually read those? I live in a very small town and just feel like it would be a waste, but I suppose I gotta to what I can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.8G, 24", 2 gig ram and it feels good
I give out business cards & send out my website address via email.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Not sure about where you live but I would run an ad in the local newspaper and/or the Nickel Ad. Its pretty cheap relatively speaking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i am active in a chamber of commerce and it is a great way to get your name out in the community

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I top up my work with creative agencies, but they tend to concentrate in central London, but do sometimes have work in towns, near the larger cities

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
One thing I learned about self employment, is to over advertise. Find local flyers, community "magazines" (ones they give out for free to certain areas) and even certain businesses will allow you to post business cards. (Home Depot for example) You can even have signs made up and put them at busy intersections. Especially at "industrial areas".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd go through the yellow pages for local businesses and perhaps try emailing them.

Pitch something along the lines of "local, exerienced webdesigner, face-to-face can represent your businesses true values" etc.

You also hear a lot about designers becoming known due to their more public work online. How about designing a free theme or do a free site for a popular open source project or something.

(Jon Hicks is a great example of this: he runs the popular pimpmysafari.com and pimpmycamino.com sites and also did the firefox logo - now he's internet-famous ;))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.16ghz 2gb ram 250gb HD
the last little but of freelance i paid for i found through twitter.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.