Trying To Upgrade Hard-Drive on Powerbook G4 15"

Reaction score
First of all, hello to everyone, Im new here.

I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me out in regards to choosing the right hard-drive upgrade for my Powerbook G4 15".

I'm not very knowledable when it comes to upgrading but have come across a website where a guy suggested I need a "2.5" Parallel ATA/IDE drive up to 250 GB".

I've found the links below all at different costs but they seem like the same thing to me. I just wondered if anyone with a bit more techincal knowledge could tell...

1) if there is any difference
2) which one would be the best option.

I've been given a link for a step to step guide on how to replace the Hard Drive - PowerBook Repair - iFixit - and ideally would like to have a go at this myself. However I just need to find the correct Hard Drive for my Powerbook.

I have a link from Play.com here

A link from Amazon here

A link from ebuyer here

and a link from SCAN here

If it helps my computer has the following info:

TOSHIBA MK8026GAX:

Capacity: 74.53 GB
Model: TOSHIBA MK8026GAX
Revision: PA005B
Serial Number: ??????????
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Protocol: ATA
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
Partition Map Type: APM (Apple Partition Map)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Macintosh HD:
Capacity: 74.41 GB
Available: 16.62 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s3

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-846:

Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-846
Revision: FAAG
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 1
Socket Type: Internal
Low Power Polling: Yes

Any help and assistance would be greatly appreciated me as at the moment I don't know which way to turn, and this buzzing noise from my existing Hard Drive is getting very annoying. Thanks.

Eastavos

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And you're surprised Amazon beats all the others on price because...?

However, you cannot put that drive in your Powerbook.

You need an ATA (also called IDE) drive. For our purposes here, this is the type of connection they have.
A SATA drive will not work in your Powerbook. It has a different type of connection.

And sorry, but you're not going to get an IDE drive that cheap any more - not as many of them made and not as much demand for them.
The switch to SATA started about 8-9 years ago and was pretty much full blown changed on all new hardware 4-5 years ago.

Here's the same drive at Amazon, with IDE - link or the 320GB - link.

If you want to keep looking, put IDE in your search term, ex. "WD Scorpio 2.5 IDE)
Just remember, no SATA for that machine.

OP
E
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for your help. I'll take a look at those links. Just out of curiosity, do you personally think it's worth updating, or would it be better to think about a new machine altogether? I was just wondering how much of a difference it is likely to make to my current machine (besides getting rid of the buzzing noise)

Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.