Finder Stopped Working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Using tinker tool I unhide hidden folders and then when I clicked on relaunch finder, my desktop would not load. I think its because I had a USB External HD Connected when I clicked on relaunch finder.

So basically what's happened is that my desktop does not load, no HD icon, no folders nothing. However I can access the folders that were on my desktop by going to finder from the dock and then clicking and desktop in the sidebar. Also I can not drag any folders or files to my desktop from finder. For example I can not drag a file from my documents folder to my desktop but I can drag folders to the desktop folder in finder.

What I've done so far is
- clean my user and system cache - using the app main menu
- went to disk utility and verified disk permissions - nothing found
- cleaned corrupted preferences files using main menu

Am I going to have to reinstall Mac OS X
Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks for any help

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Sorry for double posting but I fixed the issue.

I learnt a neat thing about Mac OS X today. If you delete the .plist file of a given application that often fixes your problem. I don't know why, anyone know?

anyway what I did was I done a spotlight for finder.plist and moved that file to my home folder and then restarted my mac and it worked.

M

MacHeadCase

Have you tried from your internal hard drive to launch OnyX and use the same script, hide/unhide? Maybe using another app would work better. OnyX has been updated in the last few days check it out.

Edited to add:

Never mind. Just read your post above...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.