Does the MB automatically sleep when you close it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
I'm currently seeding a torrent but I have to sleep now. I have to leave my laptop on so it would be properly seeded, would that do my laptop any harm? And if not, I would rather close the lid than leave it open. Does it make the laptop automatically sleep and can I change that? I would like to make it have a continuous internet connection even though it's closed. Is it even possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
There is no harm leaving your MacBook open and running. It's meant to do that.

If you wish, you can turn the brightness on the display down.

Whenever you close the MacBook, it goes to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
It wont do it any harm to leave the screen open.. If you close the screen it will go to sleep and your internet connection will stop working. there are third party programs that you can get that will allow you to close the lid and not have it go to sleep.. If you choose to go this route please read the program warnings as some people have had issues. Go to www.versiontracker.com or www.macupdate.com and search insomniax and sleepless.

EDIT:

sleepless

http://www.alxsoft.com/mac/sleepless.html

insomniaX

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30315

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Thanks guys! I guess I'll just leave it open and cover it with cloth to prevent dust going on it.

KoDorSean, thanks.. but I'm too sleepy to download and install right now. :D
I'll try your suggestion tomorrow perhaps, or the next time I have to seed a torrent. :)

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd say just leave it open. Your display is going to last you a LONG time and by closing it; I'm speculating that it would probably increase the heat of your notebook... and heat is ALWAYS a BAD thing for computers. Just my opinion though. ;)

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Thanks guys! I guess I'll just leave it open and cover it with cloth to prevent dust going on it.

KoDorSean, thanks.. but I'm too sleepy to download and install right now. :D
I'll try your suggestion tomorrow perhaps, or the next time I have to seed a torrent. :)

again, if you go with those third party programs read the WARNINGS. It could just be a fluke but I used insomniaX for 14 days and on the 15th day I was at microcenter buying a new 120GB HDD because my old one was fried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"

It's never a good idea to cover a piece of electronic equipment with a cloth-- especially when it's running.

Reaction score
rixx, I really don't think leaving the laptop open and DRAPED over by a very light (sheet like thin) cloth over the top will damage your notebook (if you feel it's absolutely necessary). The key is ventilation (ensuring your notebook can breath and keep itself cool). I have a nifty little gadget that cost me a few bucks, it's usb powered and you sit your laptop/notebook on top of it... it has several fans that blow cool air up and underneath your mac. :) Needless to say, I dont think you're going to collect much dust in a few hours (unless you live outside in the desert, lol). I keep cans of compressed air around just for that purpose...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Why bother about the dust? Apple laptops are incredibly well dust-proofed compared to other computers. Anyway, it's a laptop, it's designed to be hauled around and used and bumped and worked; if you're really that precious about it then give it a good huff when you get back to it. Putting sheets over it or closing it will do it a lot more harm than a bit of dust.

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
again, if you go with those third party programs read the WARNINGS. It could just be a fluke but I used insomniaX for 14 days and on the 15th day I was at microcenter buying a new 120GB HDD because my old one was fried.

Oh, I never thought it was that kind of warning. Oh noo, I wouldn't take the risk. I won't ask my mom for anothing HDD, she'd tell me I spend too much. Parents. :Angry-Tongue:

It's never a good idea to cover a piece of electronic equipment with a cloth-- especially when it's running.

It is? Anyway, I didn't leave it with a cloth. I sort of thought about that, and I dusted it a while ago.

rixx, I really don't think leaving the laptop open and DRAPED over by a very light (sheet like thin) cloth over the top will damage your notebook (if you feel it's absolutely necessary). The key is ventilation (ensuring your notebook can breath and keep itself cool). I have a nifty little gadget that cost me a few bucks, it's usb powered and you sit your laptop/notebook on top of it... it has several fans that blow cool air up and underneath your mac. :) Needless to say, I dont think you're going to collect much dust in a few hours (unless you live outside in the desert, lol). I keep cans of compressed air around just for that purpose...

Cool gadget. Where'd you get it and how much? I use an ordinary fan when I leave it on, like a small desk fan to cool my paranoid mind.:Smirk:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you can have the display go dark at a separate time than the macbook itself. i think it's under power settings, or maybe display settings (not sure since i'm at work on xp pro).

do this and then just lower the screen til it's a few inches up from closed. if you got really paranoid, you could stand something on your wrist rest to keep the lid from closing. but a little dust overnight is not a horrible thing. just blow on the keyboard the next morning and there you go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.