Local Web Server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Hey All.

I have a website (that I didn't write), that I need to tweak a bit. The trouble is, it contains some ASP code that doesn't execute when I preview it in Dreamweaver.

Is there a local web server I can use on my iMac to preview the pages?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
To run ASP code you need Microsoft IIS. Since it is available only for Windows, you should consider installing XP/Vista on a virtual partition(using Parallel/VM Fusion).

OP
The_Grudge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Oh right. Okay, thanks.

So I have another question then. Possibly a stupid one at that.

I have a host lined up for this site already. Will they be able to host the ASP page? What I'm saying is, are all hosts setup for all possibilities or is there a chance my host will say "sorry, we don't run IIS on here you're outa luck!".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I am afraid, it can very much be the case. Most of the service providers have Linux servers.

Try PHP code instead(if possible). It would run on almost all servers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Many providers will offer both options, but they may charge you more for hosting on an IIS box. There are a lot of host providers though, so just look around a little if they don't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.