iPad in UK - Vodafone

Reaction score
Newbie question. I have a client with an iPad 1, 64GB with Mobile Broadband. It was purchased in the US. We have not activated service with AT&T. The user travels to the UK often and wants to use the Vodafone broadband network on the iPad there. He brought it to the Vodafone store, they popped out the AT&T SIM and popped in a VOdafone SIM, but they couldn't get it activated.

Do we have to "unlock" or "jailbreak" the iPad for this to work? How do I do that?

If it's going to risk damaging or reducing functionality of the iPad, he'll probably just buy a new iPad in the UK.

Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does Vodafone use the same frequencies and broadcast method that AT&T uses here in the US? If any of those are different, it won't activate. However, he still should be able to use it on wireless.

And moved your post to the correct forum.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, I understand that Vodafone is a 3G carrier, however, not all 3G carriers use the same frequencies to provide 3G. For example: Here in the US T-Mobile is a 3G carrier but the iPad and iPhone will not work on their 3G network because of the broadcast frequency differences.

If everything is the same - that is if Vodafone is compatible with AT&T - then there should be no problem activating the unit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.