Performance of 1gb memory

A

airline1

The 1.33ghz iBook I recently bought off ebay came with 512mb Ram. I have just ordered a stick of 1gb crucial memory which will max it out at 1.25gb, should I expect to see a significant increase in performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
airline1 said:
The 1.33ghz iBook I recently bought off ebay came with 512mb Ram. I have just ordered a stick of 1gb crucial memory which will max it out at 1.25gb, should I expect to see a significant increase in performance.

I went from 512MB to 1GB in my 1.42GHZ mini (just a few days ago), and yes, the difference is definitely noticeable, but more so in that I can leave more apps open/running in the dock than before, and my swap file now typically hovers around 64 or 128MB, rather than 512MB or more. So, as is typically the case with more RAM, more apps can run with less "effort", and the system is definitely more responsive.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
i don't know if it would be significant b/c processor speed and primarily bus speed is what separates performance from an ibook to powerbook. i upgraded my ram up to 768mb and I can honestly say i didn't notice a significant improvement in speed but definitely smoother performance when opening up large applications. i found the powerbook with base 256mb ram was faster than my upgraded ibook. but the more ram the merrier!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
anybody ever bump up from 768 to 1.25 gig of ram? i've noticed lately doing some multitasking (iphoto, photoedit, ichat, safari, itunes) things tend to slow down a little. just wondering if i would notice any difference going from 768 to 1.25...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
I went from 512 to 1.5. Start up times were a little faster, but the real difference is in the number of programs that can run at one time. It's worth it, I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard
I went from 512 to 1gig and there isnt that much of a speed diff. however i use tons of widgets and that ram helps alot.

OP
M

mactopsuit

I'm sure no one buys ram from apple direct with so many 3rd party providers. Which 3rd party 1g ram would you recommend for a powerbook? Kingston?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.