new power book wont turn off

F

frosty

I tried calling apple support but they keep bankers hours.
Anyway I make sure everything is closed and shut down ie the wireless and bluetooth. I pull the apple bar and click shur down. It acts like everhting shut off exept it still is running the battery down. It is still generating heat and I can hear some whirring inside when I hold it to my hear. By the way this is all happenning while the power is unplugged. Am i doing something wrong or do I have a faulty rig?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
My guess is the fan is gonna run after shutdown until the CPU is cool enough

OP
T

TylerMoney

If it doesn't shut down...you may have to pull out the battery...if holding the power button doesn't work. the fan should go like a second or two after shutdown I beleive...hmm...but who knows...I'd still call apple...but try to do that to shutdown..or restart the finder (cmd - opt - esc). if that doesn't work either...pull that there battery...it's scarey..but that's what's gotta happen I imagien.

OP
S

Sita

No, the fans don't keep running after shutdown. There's definitely something wrong if that's what it's doing. Just keep trying to get ahold of Apple, or go into an Apple store if there's one in your city.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Thats some serious weird stuff. The fan is not supposed to kick in when the PB is off, neither when its on stand-by (correct me if I am wrong here). So make sure u get in touch with Apple and see what they have to say. And yeah, let us know about it as well :)

OP
P

PowerbookG417

i bet if you were to pull the battery wait 30 seconds and pop it back in start it up it will run just fine and shut down just fine....but then again if it doesnt then totally call apple.

in the last couple calls to apple i have found that they know basic troubleshooting and anything else just gets sent to a apple repair centre

OP
F

frosty

PowerbookG417 said:
i bet if you were to pull the battery wait 30 seconds and pop it back in start it up it will run just fine and shut down just fine....but then again if it doesnt then totally call apple.

in the last couple calls to apple i have found that they know basic troubleshooting and anything else just gets sent to a apple repair centre[/QUOTE

The apple tech guys are on this one because it is so wierd and its their new model. I can now get complete shutdown if I pull the battery for 90 sec. (30secs wasnt enough). Still for something to spontaneously turn on after shut down is not right.
I'll keep you posted.

OP
F

frosty

poor service, poor quality control

Well I ended up sending the comp back to apple. They in their efficiency sent it back very quickly. So quickly in fact that they neglected to make sure it was fixed. In addition to not being fixed it came back with a minor cosmetic blemish. I dropped it off at the local service provider now they want to send it back again because they want to try and fix it again.
I just spent an hour on the phone with customer sevice. I told customer service that they already had that chance and now they want to drag me through that procedure again. I told her I paid them to have a working computer and so far after two visits to the local service provider one visit to the apple service center many many phone calls to apple and I still dont have a computer. and probably wont for at least another week. *** Is this lame customer service standard opperating procedure? :mad: Not a happy camper at this point. Since I will now have to make yet another trip without a computer.

I cant imagine this sort of thing happens alot or does it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
That happened with my powerbook.....they sent it back without fixing it and scratched and dinged the thing.....took it to the apple store and they wrote up an order sheet and had them replace my entire case and fix the original problem (battery jammed). This time instead of sending it to my house they sent it to the apple store so we could make sure that everything was fixed

OP
F

frosty

Its looks like I'm in for a legal battle with apple. I told them I would not accept the defective unit back. I know for a fact that the unit has been seriously overheated twice. I have zero confidence in thier technical department and customer service. They are trying to shove a defective computer up my you know what. I'm not going to take it. Attorney general time. What a truly lousy customer service department. I'm shocked because I'd heard many good things about apple. Now it seems this is SOP. Like I said I'm not going to take it.

OP
M

Matt

This sort of thing happens alot in this forum. Its sad that Apple must be the worst Computer company when it comes to quality control.

OP
L

lzasitko

not the only one

And Apple is not the only with poor service sometimes. Get on any of the pc baords you will here the same thing for almost any make out there. Part of it may be that Apple is outsourcing some things (like many other companies) but I can't say for sure. I have had nothing but good service people here and any time I have dealt with Apple Canada it has been prompt and fast and done right.

The problem with all these boards is that many people do not get on here if things are going well, only when they have problems and so it seems like all you hear is bad service. Its not the case in general. Why you? I have no idea but I do hope you can get it all straight.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Larry is absolutely correct on things do get blown out of proportion.
Maybe 15 people on these boards have had terrible service.......On a message board where they can have tons of posts and the other people agreeing with each other it seems like its a big deal when its most likely a very small percentage

The people who voice their stories the most are the people who are upset and its just the stories that come through the loudest

OP
L

lzasitko

when I was in school.....

A couple years ago I took a management class for people that own their own business and in there it was stressed to us that

1] customer is always right, even if they are wrong :D
2] if you handle a customer complaint correctly and promptly only one other person will ever be told about it (on average)
3] if you blow it and the customer gets ticked with you it gets spread all over and on average 10 people will hear about it
4] the customer is always right, no matter what :)

Moral is that customer service can make or break a company

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.