• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HandBreak advice... ...

Reaction score
How can I make Handbreak go a little faster than just 10fps? *

I transcode 1080p home movies to a lower resolution to watch on my iPhone 4. The settings I use are: 5000kbps, 2pass is checked, same as source or 29.9fps is also selected. It depends on the day. Why doesn't Handbreak ever go faster than 10-12fps on my Macbook Pro 13"?... ... So frustrating!!! Any tips?!?!???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Uncheck 2 pass and you will simply halve the transcoding time

and are you using the 64 bit version of Handbreak?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
HD footage, transcoding and resizing does take a long time. I'd switch to using constant quality or use one of the presets on handbrake.

Depending on the source footage and what you do with it will really affect transcode time.

Also know you don't have an uber powerful transcoding workhorse of a machine - although some transcoders may go faster (have you tried mpegstreamclip?) you're most likely never going to get terribly fast transcode speeds (I'd be surprised if you could manage faster then 2x original time) when taking 1080p footage, transcoding to a lower resolution, scaling the bitrate to 5,000 and (I'm guessing) converting to a different container.

C

chas_m

I'm not understanding how people don't know what a handbrake is (not the software!). Every car, truck and bicycle on earth has one.

Thus, I'm always confused that anyone would misspell it. I know homonyms can be confusing in some cases (their/there, I definitely get that), but once you know what a handbrake is, you'd never confuse it for a hand break.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Thus, I'm always confused that anyone would misspell it.

Hears ure baje:

15320283_400x400.png

C

chas_m

Wow, I've ALWAYS wanted one of those!! Thanks! :)

PS. I do apologise if I offended anyone. Spelling mistakes happen to everyone, including me, and although I'm fairly compulsive about good spelling, I *usually* let things slide, but that one was really bugging me. So I just want to make clear that although I'm now a proud member of the spelling police, I'll try hard not to be a spelling *nazi.* There's a difference. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.