First Post - My Back Up plan - your verdict and thoughts please

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post ( if it´s in the wrong sub forum - my apologies) and I´m seeking your feedback re: my back up plan

I´m running an imac, 10.5.8, intel, 500gb, 3gb ram - about three years old

I don´t have much in the way of cash, so have come up with the following to cover my needs,

I want to shift everything from my imac to an external hard drive as it´s getting sluggish, retaining all applications and OS on my internal hard drive. I then want to back up the external hard drive with another external hard drive to be kept offsite.

OR - use three external hardrives - one as the main deposit for all files, one for back up onsite, one for back up to be kept off site

I´m an illustrator and musician so my main aim is to preserve my media and I also am requesting your thoughts on the best back up software and whether external hard drives can be daisy chained

Like I said, I don´t have a great deal of cash money and this would appear to be my only solution. You´re feedback is most appreciated,

Thanks

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You do realize that when you use "I don´t have a great deal of cash" and "the best back up software" in the same post you are contradicting yourself.

Your strategy sounds fine. Just use Time Machine. For the money (free) you can't go wrong. Just be sure that you include (or un-exclude) the external you are using as a data storage drive.

OP

Reaction score
Thanks Macworks,

Yep, it does sound like I'm contradicting myself - I mean the cheapest solution whilst cutting no corners!

THanks again for taking the time to reply, much appreciated

Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.