Unable to use close tabs with keyboard shortcut in safari

Reaction score
I'm unable to use any sort of keyboard shortcut to close a tab in a window in safari. I used to use "apple w" all the time, but suddenly the option has disappeared. I've gone into settings and tried to switch it that way, but it still wont work. I do have the ability to close a window and even change the command for closing a window in settings, but for some reason closing a tab wont work...

any ideas?

Picture3.png

Reaction score
Hey, hannah, I had the same problem, but with Chrome. Luckily, Mac OS has built in solutions for adding any keyboard shortcut you like to any program. Go into System Preferences, then Keyboard, and click on the Keyboard Shortcuts tab. The left menu should have Application Shortcuts at the bottom - click on that, and click the + to add a shortcut. All you have to do is type in the command you want to add a shortcut for exactly as it is in the program menu - so, in this case, you'd type in "Close Tab" - and add your shortcut in the box below. You can specify if you want the shortcut to be specific to safari if you like, but I've got mine set to all applications, and it works beautifully - I can still close all other, non-tabbed windows with just command w.

Hope this is helpful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Might be a corruption of some sort. First i would try the latest combo updater and if that made no difference then look at the plist for Safari. First you need to post more info - what OS are you on? Command W works for me so would seem to be a standard shortcut.
Did u press Cntrl F7;

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm unable to use any sort of keyboard shortcut to close a tab in a window in safari. I used to use "apple w" all the time, but suddenly the option has disappeared. I've gone into settings and tried to switch it that way, but it still wont work. I do have the ability to close a window and even change the command for closing a window in settings, but for some reason closing a tab wont work...

any ideas?

Hmmm. I don't even have an option in my menu to "Close All Windows" like you do. What version of OS X do you have, and what version of Safari? Do you have any plug-ins installed like Glims that modify Safari's behavior?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hmmm. I don't even have an option in my menu to "Close All Windows" like you do.

Nor do I (OS 10.5.8 with Safari 4.0.5) and my Close Tab shows ⌘W as its shortcut.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.