airport autoassignes ip

Reaction score
the first day i got my imac i connected succesfully no problem
but i turned off my router and my imac and on the next day i had this problem

anyone knows how to fix this?
ive tried many of the solutions out there... deleting the apple preferences file rebooting..

etc
still same problem

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I assume you're having trouble connecting wirelessly to your router, but you haven't given us enough information to tell us what's happening. Describe what you're doing and what you're seeing.

OP
F
Reaction score
I assume you're having trouble connecting wirelessly to your router, but you haven't given us enough information to tell us what's happening. Describe what you're doing and what you're seeing.

yeah wireless
i see this autoassignet ip thing
cant do anuything about it becauser it auto assigns and says i cant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
go to Network Preferences, Advance, and renew DHCP lease under the TCP/IP tab

OP
F
Reaction score
first of all thanks for the answers
and well
renewing the DHCP lease does nothing
someting i forgot to mention is that it GIVEs me a random ip address its not like
the guy on the other thread simply renewed the lease and problem solved

i get the "airport has self-assigned ip address (random number here) and wont be able to connect to internet"

please i still need help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's autoassigning the IP then you are not getting a connection. The IP usually starts with 169.xx.xx.xx . In my experience never has my airport assigned an ip to itself, on through a Ethernet connection. Connect directly via an Ethernet and let us know what happens.

OP
F
Reaction score
If it's autoassigning the IP then you are not getting a connection. The IP usually starts with 169.xx.xx.xx . In my experience never has my airport assigned an ip to itself, on through a Ethernet connection. Connect directly via an Ethernet and let us know what happens.

yes the airport assigns a 169.etc ip
when i connect it via ethernet it connects automatically and works perfectly

its a very wierd case since the first time i used this imac it connected automatically using wireless using the same router and configuration it has right now

turned off my computer and now have this problem

*edit* i turned off airport and activated it again typed in my password and now its working i really dont know what fixed it for the people out there with the same problem*

thanks for all the people who replied though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Is there a reason the iMac needs to be wireless? What unit is providing the wireless network and did u set it up? Are there other units using the same wireless network? If you want to avoid future hiccups then answers to those questions will help with suggestions from forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Usually a reboot is all these mighty machines need

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro
your pc is on slef assings ip address mode which is normally used for VPN connection, if it happen you need to check for updats in you computer actually
It is possible that you may have performed a software or "os x" upgrade and there were some errors in the bits being transfered to your machine.

Please open up your console log and go to /Library/Logs/'Software Update.log'
check that if you can find any thing by date over there when u were last on internet

Look for something in the log that specifies your last "Mac OS X Update", it will also be dated. In addition, look for the log that specifies your last "Security Update..." which is also dated. Please post back the Installed date with the version of the updates for both.

It will be something like:

2006-10-03 19:17:31 -0700: Installed "Mac OS X Update (PowerPC)" (10.4.8)
2007-02-17 14:47:45 -0700: Installed "Security Update 2007-002 (PowerPC)" (1.0)

Let's see if this is in the time frame that you started to experience your problem. Please list any other updates as well that may be in the time frame when you started to experience this problem.

Even if it isn't, you may want to reinstall both the "Security Update" and "Mac OS X Update" with the combo updater from Apple.

You can find it at the following url:

Apple - Downloads - Mac OS X - Mac OS X Updates
Apple - Downloads - Mac OS X - Security Updates

To find other applications that you may have installed during that time, you will need to open 'System Profiler' by doing the following:

Go to the Apple menu in the top left corner of the screen. Click on About this Mac. Click on 'More info...' Go down to Software -> Applications. A list of Applications will appear and the last date they were modified. This will also be a good time to go into Network and take a look at the information under Airport Card, so please post back this information if it looks strange.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.