New Hard Drive Install/ Formatting/ Copying, etc.

Reaction score
I have been having major hard drive issues (super slow and programs stopped opening saying I needed to check with developer?) and came to the conclusion after researching that I might as well make a hd upgrade. I figured part of the issue of the applications was based in the fact that the hard drive was always trying to search and I kept getting a "disk0s2 I/O" error. So now that things are slow my time machine back* took overnight and the new hard drive is formatted and in the computer.
I'm currently running 10.6.8 snow leopard and I think this computer (MacBook Pro, MacBookPro3,1, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.2ghz) came with leopard but I can't remember for the life of me if that's for sure. The install disk does say Mac OS version 10.5.

I was having problems booting up with the disc so I plugged my old hd in via USB and thing started up and I can see my old hard drive as well as my back up via fire wire and my new hd in the power book. My original plan was to be using time machine to copy over to the new hd but now I'm trying to look into using disk utility and the restore tab. My biggest fear is that my problems may be copied over to the new hd. Any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.