Fan Running out of control

Reaction score
Hi,
My fan has been running like crazy for the last several days. I went in to activity monitor to see the CPU % usage, and there were a couple programs in there eating it all up, so I quit them. The problem resolved but is now back with a vengance. When I went back to activity monitor there was minimal total CPU usage listed, so I went to Terminal and did "top -u -s3" and there is one process taking up 99.8% of the CPU. It's PID is 4695, command is lsof. Any suggestions on what I can do to stop this, and is this a process that is dangerous to kill?
Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me with this!

mreed2011

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's a list open files unix command.
Should not be a negative side effect to quitting it, besides the individual app that's using it.

Installed a new widget in Dashboard recently? Try quitting them all and add back one at a time to see which might be the culprit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.