Special Microphones Needed for Mac vs. Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I am a recent switcher from Windows to Mac OS X. I am having a good time so far, lovin' Mac OS X.

Today I tried to hook up my PC's microphone to the Mac (new Power Mac G5, OS X 10.4.6) and do a sound check. I went to the "Sound" Preferences panel and selected Input, Line In as the source. The level meter showed nothing, nada, zero when I spoke into the microphone. Then I went to the "Speech" Preference panel and also selected Line In and used its Calibrate function. Using this, if I almost literally screamed into the microphone, I could get its level meter to move, but only by a bar or two. SO, the microphone is working, but the input level seems almost too low for the Mac to register it.

This microphone is known to work - I use it during NetMeeting calls all the time. However, on the Mac, it seems like the level is so low that it barely registers.

Do I need a Mac-specific amplified microphone or some such to capture audio on a Mac?

This seems similar to video if true. I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 web cam. I plugged it in, loaded the Logitech software and tried it out. The Logitech software sees the webcam just fine and displays a real time image of my smiling mug back at me. However, all of the Apple software I have tried (iChat, Image Capture, etc.) all say "No video device attached to this computer". I had heard that only iSight cameras are recognized by these apps - I guess it is true.

Could the same be true of audio - only Mac specific microphones are recognized?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
This should not be the case. seeing as how its ana analog 1/8" inch jack there would be no way for the OS to tell what type of mic it is. I've used everything from professional recording mics, to cheap dollar store mics, to computer mics and speakers to record through that jack. Check to see if your input level is turned all the way up and make sure the connection is secure in the jack. Jiggle it around as you talk and see if the sound gets louder and quieter on and off. if thats the case it might be problem with the plug on your mic. hope this helps!

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I wonder if this could be Mac model specific? I am on a Power Mac G5, which I hear is classed as a "professional" machine vs. a "desktop" machine. Different audio hardware perhaps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
I am having the exact same problem as you - infact I just posted about it. I did the same thing as you and got a very faint result.

It seems that it has to be a powered microphone :(

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86771

I know this link refers to a G4, but you must have the same problem as me, because I have to scream to get a faint signal too :(

A

Alli

It's because the 'Microphone' input has no preamp, it is just a Line In.

Mics have a really low output (dynamic mics especially, which is what most mics are), so require around 40 dB boost in order to get a normal volume out of them. The bit of gear which will do this isn't present in Macs, but in most PCs. This is actually a good thing, as they're usually a load of rubbish. Interferance from internal computer components makes sure of that.

If you want to get a decent level of sound out of it, get a cheap external soundcard (look at around £50). Internal ones are pretty bad, and seeing as it's a Mac, all the processing is done on the main CPU, so you don't need to worry about anything other than preamp quality...

Reaction score
Where I can find this adapter?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

I have the exact same problem, along with many others this pretty looking junk pile G5 has. Now, I learn I have to purchase a power adapter just to plug in a stinkin' microphone that runs as high as $160.00! (Why O Why did I go with a Mac!) Fine/whatever, can you please tell me what exactly and where I can find this adapter? GREATLY appreciated,

Zeusest ;D

(I may be over reacting a little, it's just no matter where I've gone with this cheese-grater-machine there has been a hurdle or something I have had to buy to go to where I want to go and it's well past being calm and collect about it. - hardware problems, software compatibility, and others. I've spent nearly $4,000.00 on a machine that crashes ALL the time and is SO slow with Photoshop, Bryce, Poser and Macromedia. My little IBM 1.6gighz is absolutely without question so much faster than this Mac. I'm so close to introducing it to the top floor, look over the city then to experience the magnificence of gravity! It's prematurely aging me... :| )

Reaction score
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

I have the exact same problem, along with many others this pretty looking junk pile G5 has. Now, I learn I have to purchase a power adapter just to plug in a stinkin' microphone that runs as high as $160.00! (Why O Why did I go with a Mac!) Fine/whatever, can you please tell me what exactly and where I can find this adapter? GREATLY appreciated,

Zeusest ;D

(I may be over reacting a little, it's just no matter where I've gone with this cheese-grater-machine there has been a hurdle or something I have had to buy to go to where I want to go and it's well past being calm and collect about it. - hardware problems, software compatibility, and others. I've spent nearly $4,000.00 on a machine that crashes ALL the time and is SO slow with Photoshop, Bryce, Poser and Macromedia. My little IBM 1.6gighz is absolutely without question so much faster than this Mac. I'm so close to introducing it to the top floor, look over the city then to experience the magnificence of gravity! It's prematurely aging me... :| )

Well obviously something is very very wrong with your setup then. I think the last time I had a crash / freeze on any of my macs was in early 2007.

Keep in mind that that is a professional machine, so consumer mics are bound to create problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.