Airport Express is better used as main router or extender?

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a Linksys E1000 router connected to my cable modem, however I don't get quality signal througout my house.

I'm planning to buy an Airport Express since many members of the family are using iDevices.

My question is, shall I still use the Linksys E1000 as my main router and the Airport Express as extender? Or vice versa?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Airport Expresses can only extend wifi networks created on other Apple networking products.

You can use it to replace your Linksys. But there's no way to say if it would be better. Far too many variables when dealing with wifi (router placement, structure, distance, interference etc) So no way to say if it would be better or worse without actually trying it.

If you're happy with the router in general and it's just the wireless range that's an issue consider a couple of these:
Amazon.com: TP-LINK IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router (TL-WR702N): Computers & Accessories
They're cheap, small and effective range extenders.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply.

I will replace the E1000 with the Airport Express as my main router. Since the E1000 supports WDS, can I extend the Airport Express wifi range with it instead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
A better option would be a centrally located (in your house) Airport Extreme Base Station or a Time Capsule
since they both have longer range and gives you 3 gigabit ports and a USB for other options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.