New HDD not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
Ok, so i ordered a Samsung 80GB 8MB cache 5400RPM ATA hard drive. i go through the excruciating pain of removing the old hdd and installing the new one. i turn on my iBook and load the Panther install disk. i go through the steps and when it gets to the select destination part, nothing shows up. i have no way to test the the new HDD to see if it works, but when i put the old one back in it works. Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Dylan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
you can pick up a cheap USB enclosure for the drive and see if it works by plugging it in

OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i did not see a place for jumpers. i did see where they were supposed to be, but the mini ide connector covers all of the pins. leaving the jumpers off allows for cable select anyway. i ran the hardware test with the new hard drive in and it passes the hardware test.

OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to Graphite, i found the problem. I forgot to Erase and Format the new HDD. it works like a charm. Thanks Graphite for the assist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.