Macbook Pro 13 vs. 15 inch?

Reaction score
Hey, I am starting college this year as a freshman in the science major... I am stuck between a $1199 13 inch macbook pro or a $1799 15 inch macbook pro. I will be using the laptop for reports, homework, projects, internet surfing, watching movies, editing pictures, and movies...video chatting and thats basically it. Which one should I go for and why?

Reaction score
I just did my first year at college with a 13" MBP. My buddy that lived next door had a 15" MBP.

For watching movies, the 15" is noticeably more enjoyable.
Otherwise, you might just like the lighter 13" for taking to lectures. Its really a preference thing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go for the 13" and use the $600 you saved to buy books that you'll need. :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I continue to think that a student will greatly appreciate the increased screen real estate the 15" offers over the 13". Over time as the projects become more involved and you spend more and more time on the machine - the larger screen will be helpful. 1lbs carrying weight difference wouldn't be enough for me to have a limited viewing area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have to agree about the screen size. Sure, if you dont plan on being in front of the 13" MBP a lot, then it wont matter, however if you are, then the extra screen on the 15" will reduce eye-strain over the long run. Now, if you save the "$600" difference, then get a big monitor and use it at the dorm/apartment.

The only time I recommend a small PC like a 13" (or the MBA) is when it will be used almost primarily for travel when overall size/weight make more of a difference, and you are not on them hours at a time.

Reaction score
I'm planning on taking the plunge and purchasing a 13in once they ship with Lion on them. I will be a college freshman as well. I'm currently using a 13in. laptop that I feel like is plenty big enough... I'm not a very big person, so I don't want to be toting around a hefty computer. I rarely watch movies or anything of the sort on my computer now so I think the 13in. will suffice. It's all about what you want, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
I connect my 13" to a 23" LCD monitor I picked up on sale for $150 when I'm at home. It really helps when doing photo/video on the MBP. But when I'm surfing the internet, using Pages/Keynote/etc, the 13" LCD works just fine for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.