• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Connection No More?

T

Townie33

I have a Canon Vixia HV30. It has been a few months (and a few MAC updates) since I have connected the camera to iMovie (09).

Today I wanted to drop some film onto iMovie from another camera (Sony) and no luck. So I gave my Canon a shot and no luck there either. My Canon had always worked before. I purchased it the same time I got my Mac.

Any suggestions: 1) How to rectify the problem, and 2) Why I am having this problem in the first place?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The first thing to always do is to check that the computer is seeing the camera. Connect the camera and turn it on, wait a few moments, open System Profiler in the Utilities folder, review the Firewire tab to see it sees your Canon camera. If not...

If you have another firewire device and cable, try that. Use Refresh to see if that appears as listed.

Cables do go bad so that is a possibility. Borrow one if you can.

Firewire ports can go bad and that would require a hardware fix.

Lastly, it may be possible that some low level software glitch is making the camera invisible to the system. I generally discount this one, but given some descriptions I've seen over the years, I have to wonder.

OP
T

Townie33

Unfortunately my FireWire Bus message is simply:
Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec

I have tried two different cables with the same result. I have tried multiple USB ports as well.

Frustrated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.