Macbooks wont connect to wireless connection

Reaction score
We have 2 Macbooks at home; a 2.53Ghz Macbook pro and a 2.4GHz Macbook. For some reason they do not connect to our wireless connection at home. If we want to connect we have to do it manually with the ADSL cable.

We have a a LINKSYS WAG325N ADSL 2+ Gateway (located downstairs) and a LINKSYS WAP4400N Access point (located upstairs-closer to our rooms, used to connect through this with our PCs).

The 2.4ghz Macbook connects through the modem (if we move it downstairs closer to the modem) but the 2.53Ghz does not either way.

I get a connection time out alert after I type in the WPA password. The same WPA password is used with the PCs at home and they log on normally.

Help!!

P.S. Im a macbook freshie (have had my macbook pro for 3 weeks now) and I'm not so good with networking so bare with me the stupid the questions if they come up and if you can make you explanation as simple as possible.

Cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you certain that it's using WPA and not WEP?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yep, WPA-Personal.

When you look at the settings for security on the router, does it offer you only WPA, or WPA2 as well?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can you try it with WPA2 and see if then connects and let us know?

If not, in the routers config for WPA, is there also a clicker for AES or TKIP? If so how is that set?

OP
F
Reaction score
It didn't connect.

It says:

Encryption: TKIP or AES (As one option)

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok I think I figured out what the problem is. So this is what I did:

Updated the firmware and disabled the security which made me connect (to the router) but as soon as I walked away from the router and got closer to the access point I lost connection and when I tried to reconnect I had to retype the password (even when its disabled from the router).

So Im guessing the problem is that I need to reconfigure the settings of the access point and make it identical to that of the router. Problem is, HOW?! According to Cisco this is the default address: 192.168.1.245, but that page doesn't open with me :(

Is there any way I can access the access points configuration through the router settings?!

Reaction score
Alright. This may seem stupidly obvious, but are all the router's drivers installed correctly on your MacBook? Furthermore, is there an application that allows you to manage your router, and what signal is it broadcasting in (B/G/N)

OP
F
Reaction score
It was installed by one of the PCs at home and I access the 192.168.1.1 page normally with my Mac. I have no idea what b/g/n is, my router is a WAG325N if thats what you mean? Otherwise can you tell where to look so I can figure out what signal is broadcasting?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You do not need a utility for a Linksys router. Besides Apple Airport routers, most just use a Web Interface to change the settings. I would do some checking your access point but I am just heading out the door. If no one else is around to help you, when I get back I will see what I can find and get back to you. I am not familiar with your model Linksys Access Point.

OP
F
Reaction score
^Alright thanks :)

I managed to access my AP's IP and I disabled the security and both Macs managed to connect. Now the problem is I can't log on back to secure it. I get a '401 Bad Request - cannot use wireless interface to access web'

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.