OWC Data doubler vs. ebay and other

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
So I'm considering upgrading my late 2009 white macbook with an SSD. Done some research around on the forums and I've still got some questions so here goes.
I've looked around at OWC and on eBay concerning the optibay/data doubler and my first question is this;

1. Aside from the connections, is the optibay/data doubler basically a frame? So would it save money to go cheaper and get one off eBay or is there something I'm missing? Would the ones off of eBay have cheaper SATA connections?

2. I'm pretty sure I'll get the SSD from OWC but I'm not sure about the difference between 3 and 6G? Is there a difference there and is my Macbook capable of handling that difference such that it would it be worth it to spend the extra for 6G?

3. I've noticed that most people say to move the SSD into the main bay and the HDD (which I recently upgraded to a 500GB, 7200 RPM Toshiba) into the secondary but seeing as the SSD is not susceptible to shock should it not be the other way around? Or would there be a difference between the two bays?

4. What are the files that should be transferred over onto the SSD? (Applications etc.) where do I find the startup files and how would I get Lion over?

Thanks in advance for your help. You can use the numbers to correspond to your answer.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
1. I used the OWC data doubler, which was extremely well made. It is basically a frame with a drive connector. Can't comment on the ones from ebay.
2. I am not sure your 2009 would support the 6G transfer. I think you will find the 3G plenty fast.
3. Shock wise there would be no difference in the bays.
4. Depends what you want to achieve. I moved my entire users directory to the HD, using the SDD for boot and programs. Others use the HDD as extended storage for just their iunes/iPhto files.

OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
Hey thanks for the reply! I'm only looking to get a smallish SSD, something that I can boot up from and just improve the opening and start up time of my Mac. So I'm thinking the same as you, move the user folder to HD. But what do I move to the SSD? The Applications folder I would assume, what about system files and Library? And how would I get my OS onto the SSD?
Sorry for my multitude of questions :p

OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bump? Can anyone else help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Sorry I've been extremely busy with my real job. I used this link.
Moving OS X /Users to a separate partition [Lnx2Mac's Blog]
It was good advice. I don't know if it is feasible for you to start over, but I would probably do a clean install of lion on the ssd and then try to set up the second drive. I have little Mac experience in moving necessary files around from an existing drive, so I can't be much help. Just for your info I have a 120GB sad and a 500 GB hard drive. The SSD is using about 60 meg at present.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.