Mac Mini antivirus/antispyware program

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to get software to protect and/or rid my mac of virus, spyware, unwanted files. I would like people's opinions on the best of free software and one that needs to be purchased.

Specs of computer: 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OS X 10.5.8

Thank you

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
These virus threads keep popping up all the time. Do you think the site has... nah! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
And PLEASE READ IT FROM PAGE ONE. Very important since the information from the originating post to the last page is relevant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27: i7,1TB HDD,8 gig Ram
I am also fairly new to Mac but also continue to use PC's.
I presently have ESET Smart Security on my PC's for obvious reasons and have never had an issue but having all my computers going through a router also helps.
ESET now has a BETA version for Mac OSX which has antivirus and antispyware protection.I have not noticed any slowdown on my computer and is presently free to try.

C

chas_m

ESET now has a BETA version for Mac OSX which has antivirus and antispyware protection.I have not noticed any slowdown on my computer and is presently free to try.

BUT IS POINTLESS, since there are no viruses or spyware issues with Macs.

What is the point of trying out an antivirus program when we can have NO WAY of telling if it would be effective? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7
its like having a gun to defend yourself ... when you live on a desert island

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27: i7,1TB HDD,8 gig Ram
You are both quite correct but nothing is impregnable eventually someone out there who has a great deal of time may pursue or are already pursuing Mac since it has gotten to be a bi weekly update on PC's.Since it is free and I run ESET on my PC's-why not.
It might benefit those who are running Windows on Mac's.

Reaction score
There has to be a virus first before a definition can be created to find it.

OP
A
Reaction score
This is all very interesting stuff. I find it funny how some people say that macs can't get viruses, have a small chance to, or can but there are only a few that completely obliterate your computer with no mercy (worded improperly for use of exaggeration). If there ARE no viruses is there a way to speed up a mac (with software, I don't want to void my warranty by opening my mac to install new hardware)? Also, why are there no viruses for macs, is it because the operating system is harder to crack or not as many people use macs as they do pcs? Obviously, I have been told mixed information over time.

C

chas_m

If there ARE no viruses is there a way to speed up a mac

I do not understand this question. It's like asking "if there is no cheese, is there a way to get better gas mileage?"

Also, why are there no viruses for macs, is it because the operating system is harder to crack

Yes. This is the reason. A combination of a superior base (UNIX), plus a security-conscious design from the get-go (Apple's contribution), plus user-level protections (admin level that can't be defeated, obscuring of root, no autorun etc).

or not as many people use macs as they do pcs? Obviously, I have been told mixed information over time.

This part is a myth, always was but has recently been re-proven to be a myth by the septupling of Apple's user base over the last half-decade or so. There are many millions more people using Macs now than ever before, billions if you count the iPod Touch and iPhone as Mac OS X devices (and they are, so they should count). Yet still not one virus. Nuff said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I just put sophos on my macs just as a backup in case i did happen to run into malware,spyware or the first actual mac virus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
its like having a gun to defend yourself ... when you live on a desert island

But dude.. "the others" might be there ! Perhaps even a smoke monster ! Pschhhhh.. I'd take the gun.

;D

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I do not understand this question. It's like asking "if there is no cheese, is there a way to get better gas mileage?"

Ride your bicycle to the supermarket.

Get cheese.

Ride home.

Problem.... solved!

As for the original question you quoted... THAT.. I'd have no answer for, really.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You are both quite correct but nothing is impregnable eventually someone out there who has a great deal of time may pursue or are already pursuing Mac since it has gotten to be a bi weekly update on PC's.Since it is free and I run ESET on my PC's-why not.
It might benefit those who are running Windows on Mac's.

It would help the Windows on Mac users, but keep in mind any PC viruses would only impact the Windows side, not the Mac side. As has already been stated, the Macs UNIX underpinning is one of the reason it is more difficult to exploit but i'm sure it could be done. Then again, I'm pretty sure Aliens could invade the earth one day so I need to figure out how to defend against that too. Frankly, I'm not worried about either at this point.

Adam's Apple said:
This is all very interesting stuff. I find it funny how some people say that macs can't get viruses, have a small chance to, or can but there are only a few that completely obliterate your computer with no mercy (worded improperly for use of exaggeration). If there ARE no viruses is there a way to speed up a mac (with software, I don't want to void my warranty by opening my mac to install new hardware)? Also, why are there no viruses for macs, is it because the operating system is harder to crack or not as many people use macs as they do pcs? Obviously, I have been told mixed information over time.

Don't get too caught up in the "why factor" here. There are multiple reasons that likely combine to result in no viruses and little if any malware. Instead I'd recommend enjoying the the change of not having to worry about nor deal with these kinds of issues.

chas_m said:

That made me laugh!

rabbitjetta said:
I just put sophos on my macs just as a backup in case i did happen to run into malware,spyware or the first actual mac virus.

If that makes you feel safer then no harm done. Eventually though you'll realize it's just a waste of space and system resources.

But dude.. "the others" might be there ! Perhaps even a smoke monster ! Pschhhhh.. I'd take the gun.

Right there with you....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The biggest threat is.....

MACDefender and AV software combined with downloading pirated software and giving up your password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.