Initial Report

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AlBook G4/1.5Ghz 15" - Pismo 400 Mhz - MacBook 2.26 Ghz
Wow. I'm impressed.

It's been an interesting time. I got the "new" PowerBook G4, and installed the upgraded memory. Alas, found out that the system has a defective slot, so I could only take it up to a gig. So, I've arranged for an exchange. The new system ought to meet up with me at home this coming Friday, and I'll be sending this particular computer back next week.

However, until then, I've been playing with the current system. I downloaded/installed NeoOffice for the heavy-lifting stuff, and Bean for the quickie drafts and notes. Done a little bit of writing with the system. Done the email and web-browsing. It's been my constant companion for a week now, and will be with me through part of the coming week.

I am impressed. The transition over has been marvelous. And the system just plain-out performs. "Only" a gig of memory has been more than enough to deal with anything I've thrown at it. It's fast, light on it's feet. And solid.

I like this. Granted, I'm not going to be throwing my Win computer out any time soon. It is still my business/work machine, but for personal stuff... I really think I should've tried this sooner! ;-)

I am impressed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
I absolutely love old PowerPC Macs. They have so much life left in them, really. But then, I can never stand to get rid of something that works!

C

chas_m

G4s over a 1Ghz and G5s of any speed still make very strong personal computers. Heck, for a lot of non-nerds an iPad is more computer than they actually need!

Glad you are enjoying your machine!

OP
HBlaine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm to the point of hating to return this machine, because it means I'll be without till I get home and get the replacement. :'(

To be honest, I'm not trashing my Win7 machine. I like it too, and have a good working relationship with it. (I know, I'll dodge the tomatoes on that one...) But...

Well, you know... ;)

OP
HBlaine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I absolutely love old PowerPC Macs. They have so much life left in them, really. But then, I can never stand to get rid of something that works!

I have been exceptionally impressed with what I've been reading on the appreciation/usage of "older" Macs. While doing research, I stumbled across a quickie article entitled Every Working Computer Is Useful to Someone, and that really got me to thinking. Our fascination with the "latest and mostest" gets a bit wearing after a while. I certainly don't feel any need to "keep up with the Joneses..." And, given what I've seen with my "new" little Mac... ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.