Installing Windows 7 on external drive

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the forum. I started a project yesterday, thinking it would be simple. Now im not sure if it will even work! Im trying to install Windows 7 on a Western Digital 750 GB external drive. The idea was that when I wanted to use Windows, I could just boot to the drive. Unfortunately, I have a couple issues. It says that windows cannot be installed on a disk connected through USB and that it must be formatted NTFS. I cant find an option to format it NTFS on mac, only FAT32. Im on a 2007 Intel Macbook.
Hoping not to hear that it isn't possible. Any help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even if you did format that external disk to NTFS, (and you can with the Windows Disk Manager software) you still would not be able to install Windows 7 to an external disk. It's a Microsoft restriction.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you. Do you think I should go with Boot Camp or a Virtual Machine? I just plan to run the OS on my computer and store files on the external disk i was going to use to run it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think whether you use Boot Camp. a virtual machine, or both to run Windows will depend a lot upon what you are planing to do. Any intensive gaming such as WoW would probably be best run under Boot Camp if you are running the PC version. Less intensive operations run fine as a virtual machine.

The current versions of Parallels and Fusion allow you to in most circumstances use the Boot Camp partition as the basis for your virtual machine. This keeps you from having to run/maintain two Windows installations.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.